Mormons Building Bridges

I was stunned to read that there was a Gay Pride parade over the weekend in Salt Lake City, and more than 300 Mormons -- straight Mormons! -- marched along in support.

More than 300 Mormon church members who are not gay drew shouts of approval and tears from spectators while marching in the Utah Gay Pride Parade in downtown Salt Lake City.

The Mormons say they sought to send a message of love to Utah's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community by joining the annual parade Sunday. Their participation marked the first time such a large group of Mormons took part in the parade, organizers said.

It gives me hope that maybe not everybody in that church is a homophobic jerk, and maybe they can start spending their money on things more worthy than fighting Gay Marriage political bills outside the state of Utah.

Full story:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1566666.html

Guest Dabeagle

Individual lay people are a start, there are plenty of Christian groups and churches that are inclusive, but I think ti's be a long time before we see change from where it needs to happen; at the top of the structure. Still, I admit being surprised to read that line as well.

One of my online gay friends is from a Mormon family. While I believe there was some angst initially, his family is very supportive of him, and when he found a boyfriend, they accepted the boyfriend into the family.

It's always dangerous to stereotype.

Guest Dabeagle

It's always dangerous to stereotype.

I'm inclined to agree, but I also temper it with there is a reason for the stereotype; sometimes its true.