Horatio Nimier

vwl

• 1 year later...

Having completed the story, which is filled with South Africanisms, I wish that I had realized there was a fine glossary at its end. I relied on Bing for the South African slang but didn't need to.

It is enjoyable to see a well written, well plotted and well edited story such as this.

I found the South Africanisms didn't bother me that much. Some I could figure out (or guess at) by context, others by language similarities, and the ones that I got wrong didn't impede my enjoyment of this story. The two different threads, playing out at different times in David's life, were an interesting approach but for me were a but confusing at the beginning. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

I went back to the first story in the series, and found that the later time in David's life made me decide that I wouldn't read it. I think I know where Horatio Nimier might be going, but it's a long trip and my time for reading is limited. That's not a problem with his series; it's my problem: too much to read but not enough time to read.

Colin :icon_geek:

These tales come as close to 'literature' as I've seen online; each story is carefully constructed, filled with wonderful detail, and casts a unique eye on the world around us. They are also highly inventive-- working within the constraints of providing (and solving) a plausible mystery for each story is no easy task. Thankfully Nimier writes each story as self-contained as possible, although it helps to know the backstory as the relationship between the two main characters unfolds.

• 1 month later...

I went back to the first story in the series, and found that the later time in David's life made me decide that I wouldn't read it. I think I know where Horatio Nimier might be going, but it's a long trip and my time for reading is limited. That's not a problem with his series; it's my problem: too much to read but not enough time to read.

Read faster!