First Anniversary of Mike's passing

With all the activity around the 20th Anniversary of the site and the story postings, I missed this entirely.

It was one year ago on September 9 that Mike passed away. In my faith, the one-year anniversary is an important milestone. It is the time by which the soul is said to have ascended to heaven. It's the official end to the time of mourning and it is the time of the unveiling, when the grave marker is set in place and unveiled to the family and the community. On the lunar calendar used in my faith, however, Mike passed away exactly one week before the start of the new year, which makes the one-year anniversary on September 26.

Mike wasn't Jewish, nor am I religious, but I think there really is something to celebrate. It's one year later and AD is still alive and kicking. I think we all owe a great debt of thanks to Alien Son and Rutabaga for not only keeping the show going, but for migrating the site to a new server with hardly a hitch in the process. The site has been thriving, thanks to a dedicated group of volunteers, and we've not only seen new content from our existing authors, but we've attracted new authors who've contributed excellent content. I'd like to thank all who've continued to post to the forums and who've made them a rich in content.

Mike, you're sorely missed, but your legacy is alive and well. That it is thriving and has survived to see its 20th anniversary is a tribute to what you created.

A.

• Like 2

Worderful thought, Steve.  The site Mike created is marvelous and he will be remembered for it as long as it lasts.  Perhaps even longer.  Many of the stories here don't have another home; the fact they're there is a tribute to Mike and might not exist were it not for him.

As you said, it's mostly due to Alien Son and Rutabag that Mike's legacy continues.  We all should feel grateful to the work they put in to keep the site alive.

C

• Like 1