Blonde Christmas

There were two blondes who went deep into the frozen woods
searching for a Christmas tree.

After hours of subzero temperatures and a few close calls with
hungry wolves, one blonde turned to the other and said, "I'm
chopping down the next tree I see. I don't care whether it's
decorated or not!"

Guess I could add my blond Christmas story here:

Mikey had just turned 18 that year, a beautiful young man with such enthusiasm for life. He lived with Tommy who was just a few years older and their loving relationship was something to be admired. Tommy worked as a custodian, Mikey stayed home, watched soap operas, and puttered around in the kitchen. Both of them had come from the low down streets of Baltimore, but now they were making it.

Mikey invited me over for Christmas dinner. There were to be four other guests and he was planning a big meal...I was told to bring wine. And so on the evening of this grand caper I showed up at the door, received my usual hug from Mikey, and was told Tommy would not be home for a while...I was the first one there.

When you walk into a home with expectations of a nice meal the first thing you notice is the smell of cooking...there was none of that. It was coming up on six o'clock...what was he cooking? I took my bottle of wine out to the kitchen and there on the counter sat a good sized turkey thawing away. "Oh, Mikey...will you come here a minute?"

He had never baked a bird before, didn't read the directions printed clearly on the label...his dinner was in peril. He had all the material for stuffing, salad goodies, potatoes to peal, boil and mash, vegetables to cook and cranberry sauce to open...there was just no way this turkey would get cooked in time. The doorbell rang and the other guests began to arrive. I turned the oven on to 400 degrees and seized the slightly frozen bird.

The meal was a success. Of course having a lot of wine to drink we sat around talking for hours as the bird cooked. That made matters easier, and we finally ate at midnight. Mikey's Christmas fiasco, but he was still adorable. Did I mention he was blond...no, perhaps I didn't have to.