I've been thinking a lot about writing. Today I came across two bits of 'advice' that I found yonks ago and put in a box. Where I originally found them I have no idea. However, as they are worth pondering I thought I'd post them. Here's the first:
Eight basic necessities to create a story - probably, methinks, sword and sorcery. Though they do adapt.
1) one Hero
2) one Villain
3) one object they both desire
4) one journey
5) a couple of sidekicks (generally not more than 3)
6) one wisened mentor (maybe a sidekick)
7) one valuable (magical?) item that keeps getting mislaid
8) one prophesy (or two that contradict)
The second is a graphic that, sadly, I can't attribute. My bad.
I hope this helps!