Voice Recognition - The Grand Experiment!

I have taken the plunge and invested in voice recognition software. I am using Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred version 8.

It is very interesting to use this software. It frees me of the burden of typing, which is admittedly a pain in the backside.

It will take some getting used to. I'm not used to writing this way, but I think I'll get over it.

This is one of a number of things that I have been doing lately to improve my writing. Having worked like a dog for other people most of my professional life, it is time to work for me.

Speech recognition software opens some doors for me, that have previously been close. I intend to offer consulting services for professionals, who have to do a great deal of writing. Doctors offices, and attorneys come to mind.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this affects my writing and output. Stay tuned.

-JS

:geek: :cat:

PS. This message was composed by voice.

It is very interesting to use this software. It frees me of the burden of typing, which is admittedly a pain in the backside.

The very, very fine writer Rod Serling was the first author I knew of who did most of his writing (at least during the 1960s and early 1970s) by dictation. He'd have a secretary transcribe it later. He was comfortable enough with it that he actually did an episode of Twilight Zone about a writer who dictated all his books, only in that case, what he dictated began to materialize in real-life, like magic.

It doesn't work for me, because I get too self-concious having to speak the dialog of several different characters. But I have to confess, if you read what you write out loud, you find out very quickly what has a natural rhythm to it, and what sounds stilted and phony.

At the same time, there's something I enjoy about pondering a blank page, then hitting the keys as I hear the voice in my head. That works for me, but I can see where voice recognition could work if you were going for speed.

Either typing or voice transcription works fine.

Yes, speaking the dialogue will show what's a natural speech pattern.

If you use a transcriptionist, be sure it's someone skilled. Transcribing is intensive, if you've ever tried it.

If you use software, be careful of its trouble spots, such as with background noise or when you have a cold or are tired, or just pronounce something differently. Each speaker has to train separately, or did, before.

I haven't tried text-to-speech software recently; I'd like to, when my budget will allow it.