Welcome to the AD Flash Fiction Forum

Camy

Welcome to the AD Flash Fiction Forum!

This forum is for anyone to post their flash fiction stories, and hopefully (possibly... maybe, if you're lucky) get feedback.
AD authors can also post here, too. If they like. In fact, please do. The more the merrier.

You might be wondering what 'Flash Fiction' is. Well, as far as AD is concerned it's any story under 1000 words. That's story, not vignette.

Now, as I'm a typically lazy chap, it's over to the doyen of doyens - Wikipedia, for some useful ... erm ... padding.

Flash fiction is characterized by its extreme brevity, as measured by its length in words. While there is no universally accepted exact word limit, generally a short story is considered to constitute flash fiction if it is less than 1,000?2,000 words long, and most flash-fiction pieces are between 250 and 1,000 words long.

The AD cap is 1000 words, but hey, as we're all friends, a few extra won't get you castigated ... much. Though be warned, Tanuki Raccoon gets miffed at long pieces - so I've heard.

Flash fiction differs from a vignette in that the flash-fiction work contains the classic story elements: protagonist, conflict, obstacles or complications, and resolution. However, unlike the case with a traditional short story, the limited word length often forces some of these elements to remain unwritten, that is, hinted at or implied in the written storyline. This principle, taken to the extreme, is illustrated by Ernest Hemingway's six-word flash, "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

For more information, or to read bits I didn't ctrl C ctrl V, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_fiction

And there you have it: as laid back a forum as you could want. Get posting, and we'll sharpen the blades of our commentary knives.

Camy

Please note: All posted content is copyright of its respected author.