Maine approves gay marriages

Maine approves gay marriages

The Governor of Maine has signed a law making the north-eastern US state the fifth to allow gays to marry.

Governor John Baldacci, a Democrat, signed the law after the upper chamber in the state legislature voted 21 to 13 in favour.

"In the past, I opposed gay marriage while supporting the idea of civil unions," Mr Baldacci said in a statement on his website.

"I have come to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law, and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage."

Maine joined its fellow New England states of Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont, as well as Iowa, in extending marriage rights to couples of the same sex.

Last week New Hampshire, which is also in the north-east, moved closer to adopting a similar law.

From Australian ABC

That big straight wall is a-crumblin' down.

Oh, and I had to laugh to find out that Miss California is about to be defrocked (or dethroned or whatever they call it) because -- shock of shocks -- she posed for nude pictures a few years ago. The news story is detailed here.

This is the same woman who recently lost the Miss USA pageant largely because she declared that "marriage is only between a man and a woman." Stupid c-word.

On hearing about Miss California's claim that "marriage is only between a man and a woman," a friend with powers of the quick retort stated, "Even so, it doesn't mean they're straight." :hehe:

As I suppose I should have expected, but didn't, there's already a group trying to get a ballot initiative in Maine to overturn the Governor's gay marriage acceptance ruling.

I will never understand why they feel it's so important to limit the rights of people they don't even know.

C

As I suppose I should have expected, but didn't, there's already a group trying to get a ballot initiative in Maine to overturn the Governor's gay marriage acceptance ruling.

I will never understand why they feel it's so important to limit the rights of people they don't even know.

C

I think firstly, they don't recognise other people's right to have rights, and

secondly, they feel threatened by people who don't think the same as everyone else does in their cave.

It's a very primitive trait to huddle at the back of the cave so that the other tribes from the other caves can't see them.

Me? I am a tree dweller, I like to swing from one tree to another. Of course the face mask and other protective devices do fall off sometimes. :hehe: