American Boy Scouts to Allow Gay Scouts

And now religious zealot Pat Robertson has weighed in:

Pat Robertson: Boy Scouts 'Torn Up' For Gay Kids

Who Want To 'Do Sex' With Each Other

The Boy Scouts of America's (BSA) controversial decision to admit openly gay youths isn't sitting too well with Pat Robertson.

On "The 700 Club," the conservative televangelist said the Boy Scouts's ruling "boggles the mind," according to Right Wing Watch.

Blaming Hollywood and the "liberal media" for promoting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights, Robertson added, "It breaks your heart to see the Boy Scouts...torn up in order to accommodate a few kids that want to do sex with each other."

Of course, it isn't the first time Robertson has decried the possibility of openly gay Boy Scouts. Earlier this year, he wondered aloud if permitting gay Scouts to join the BSA would also open the door to "predators" and "pedophiles."

The BSA's removal of sexual orientation as youth membership criterion has angered a number of other conservative lawmakers and pundits. Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas) said he was "greatly disappointed" by the decision, while the American Family Association's Bryan Fischer has suggested the presence of gay Scouts will create "sexual tension" on troop camping trips.

http://www.huffingto..._ref=gay-voices

My reaction to this story is that Pat is very ignorant if he thinks 1) that gay kids are going to have sex at any time and any place under any conditions, and 2) that bringing gay kids into the Scouts is promoting promiscuity. To me, it's no different having boys and girls together at camp (in different bunkhouses), and making it a rule that there's no fraternizing, period.

Having said that: I can certainly recall going to summer camp and experiencing "sexual tension" on a few occasions. But I think everybody understands there's a time and a place for everything, and if another kid is not interested, they're not interested... period. This is no different than boarding schools or anything else. Kids are gonna be kids and fool around under some circumstances, but it shouldn't ever pressure non-gay kids to have sex.

"Blaming Hollywood and the "liberal media" for promoting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights, Robertson added, "It breaks your heart to see the Boy Scouts...torn up in order to accommodate a few kids that want to do sex with each other."

This is just nuts. As I recall from scouting years and years ago, on camping occasions with two or multiple boys in a tent, sex games were rampant, something all the boys looked forward to. As the vast majority of those boys were straight, why are they accusing the gay boys for causing this?

Facing the facts instead of blowing hot air has never been these guys' strongpoint.

C

Ah, I get it. :hehe:

There were all kinds of almost-gay shenanigans going on in summer camp when I was a kid in the 1960s. I can vividly remember midnight skinny-dipping in lakes, towel-snapping incidents, all kinds of jokes... and they were just part of being a kid growing up. Nothing heavy, nothing threatening, nothing serious.