Windows 8.1 and Start8

vwl

Having just loaded Windows 8.1 beta, I found that Start8, the Windows 7 start menu didn't work. There is a beta for Start8 that does work with Windows 8.1 and can be downloaded from the Stardock.com website.

While I'm not a Windows fan, I gotta say, I think making Windows 8 look and feel more like Windows 7 (with the Start menu) makes sense to me. I'm befuddled as to why Microsoft thought that needed changing.

I downloaded Start 8, but was disappointed. It doesn't work exactly the same as the old Start menu. With all the problems I've had with Windows 8, I've decided to give my new computer to my friend and in a couple of months I'll return to where I started. I'll break down and spend the money for a Macbook. My first computer was one of the original Macintosh's and I love Mac's. I just couldn't afford them by the 2000's, but I can't deal with Microsoft anymore. I've had it. I have a damn cell phone, I don't want my laptop to pretend its one.

The quote feature doesn't seem to be working for me.

Regarding Start8 and the Windows 7 start menu, I find no significant difference if you choose the Start 8 configuration.

And, in response to Camy, apparently the wizards of Redmond decided to enrich Stardock for the next version.

I downloaded Start 8, but was disappointed. It doesn't work exactly the same as the old Start menu. With all the problems I've had with Windows 8, I've decided to give my new computer to my friend and in a couple of months I'll return to where I started. I'll break down and spend the money for a Macbook. My first computer was one of the original Macintosh's and I love Mac's.

Ah, that's a disappointment. If you need help or advice with Macs, talk to me in email -- I'll be glad to help.