Kentucku judge tells it like it is....

Gay marriage got a hearing in Kentucky today and the judge tossed out the attack on the constitutional rights of LGBT people in the state....and then he had more to say.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/07/01/3455423/kentucky-marriage-ruling/

In polite terms he labeled those who oppose gay marriage as disingenuous and said the claims "are not those of serious people," how right he is. There has never been any proof that gay marriage disrupts heterosexual marriages. Of course the divorce rate in that demographic is the largest issue, but gays can't be blamed for that.

All these pending court cases will come to a head this summer and on into the fall. By the end of the year we will know if the laws and constitution of this nation are worth a damn, or if SCOTUS is so loaded with idiots they should all be replaced.

According to SCOTUSblog, the judge explicitly declined to rule that there's a fundamental right to same-sex marriage, but rules purely on equality grounds. That's good enough for me :smile:

The judge said he “can think of no . . . conceivable legitimate reason” to justify Kentucky’s refusal to allow same-sex couples to get married.

...By the end of the year we will know if the laws and constitution of this nation are worth a damn, or if SCOTUS is so loaded with idiots they should all be replaced.

It amazes me that the extremist right wing has representatives in SCOTUS. I would have hoped that being an august body of learned persons would have at least precluded the narrow minded bigots from ever reaching such position. ( I know, I'm being naïve, again.)

Er... which 'this' are you talking about? I'm guessing it's Burwell vs Hobby Lobby Stores Inc but as that's not what we're discussing here, it's unclear :smile:

Let's hope that this is not being discussed here, but I tend to think that the 5-4 decision in the case Cole refers too, may well herald influence on same sex marriage decisions in the future.

I got upset by that decision, too, even though it won't directly affect me. It's got the potential to influence a lot of bad decisions in the future where discrimination on religious grounds could be allowed because of it. That's why I was able to guess what you were talking about. Hopefully, future cases will narrow the scope of that decision....