Boyhood

Cynus

I don't really know where else to put this. The movie is certainly not LGBT themed, but I almost think that it transcends that thought process in a way, almost as if it is essentially "human" themed, and therefore all encompassing.

If you have not seen the film "Boyhood" I highly recommend it. It was a feat of endurance to produce this film which follows the life of a boy named Mason from the age of five to the age of eighteen. The film was made over a twelve year period, bringing the actors back again and again for additional filming so that they aged naturally throughout the film.

I found stunning insights into the human condition while watching it, and I think I'll have to see it several more times in order to take it all in.

The movie follows Mason as he lives with the reality of his divorced parents, and how their family pulls together as well as they can to survive. It was emotional and raw...

I'm sure I could keep going on forever, but I'll just have to implore you to see it for yourself. Here is the link to its IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1065073/

Trailer here:

I'm going to wait for home video on this one, for the simple reason that it's 2-1/2 hours long and that's a lonnnnnng movie for a tiny indie with just a half-dozen people in the cast. But I applaud filmmaker Richard Linklater for having the courage to try making a film with the same core castmembers over a period of 12 years, which is incredibly risky given that one or more of them could've been killed, or dropped out of acting, or otherwise drastically changed their appearance or something.

I'll say this: there are damn few movies that get a 99% rating on RottenTomatoes and keep it over a period of weeks. This is unbelievably high.

And I do applaud the director for the degree of difficulty in telling a story that happens over a period of 12 years, and uses the exact same actors as they age into the part. The only other film I can think of that did this is Michael Apted's Up documentary series, which takes a group of 14 British children and then follows them from the age of 7 and does a new film every 7 years to see how the person has aged, changed, and grown over time:

The_Up_series_DVD.jpg

It's remarkable that they could keep track of all of these people over a period of 50 years.