Things are definitely changing

As many of you know, it was recently Canadian Thanksgiving.

As is often the case at these events, large dinners with extended family can be a bit of a minefield, with the conversation than can and does often occur. I've been involved in enough of these myself to have learned some painful lessons.

Well, there we were, sitting there filling up with turkey and mashed potatoes, and my niece announced that her 14 year old stepson had finally got up the nerve to ask another boy to the upcoming Halloween dance.

'Oh boy, here we go...' I remember thinking, taking a quick look at some of the more senior, and more conservative, members of the gathering.

And then I was pleasantly surprised.

The reaction ranged from, "He's dating already? Oh my, they grow up so fast!" to, "Well good for him for having the courage to do that. I could barely look at prospective dates when I was that age, never mind ask them out."

I just sat back and scooped some more stuffing onto my plate. A very nice Thanksgiving dinner it was.

How heartwarming, Gee. I would like to say there is a story in this somewhere...but what are we going to do when this is considered normal. What will we write about? Nothing like a white knight for social justice without a horse to ride. The fact that the stepson is in middle school and has the courage to stand out is just awesome.

How heartwarming, Gee. I would like to say there is a story in this somewhere...but what are we going to do when this is considered normal. What will we write about? Nothing like a white knight for social justice without a horse to ride. The fact that the stepson is in middle school and has the courage to stand out is just awesome.

Yes, I agree.

To be fair, he attends a quite progressive private academy rather than a public school, so the social climate there apparently makes things considerably easier.

I haven't seen the boy for probably a year and half, so this was news to me, though honestly I can't say I'm surprised that he asked a boy out. I was a bit surprised he was able to get up the nerve to do so, he's kind of a shy kid without a lot of confidence. Good for him.

...but what are we going to do when this is considered normal. What will we write about? Nothing like a white knight for social justice without a horse to ride.

We'll write about the Bad Old Days, of course, like grumpy old men do everywhere.

I would like to say there is a story in this somewhere...but what are we going to do when this is considered normal. What will we write about? Nothing like a white knight for social justice without a horse to ride.

I think we'll just have to settle for writing stories with gay protagonists that fall in love with men, but never even bring their sexuality up. Won't it be nice when we don't have to make our characters "gay" we can just have them fall in love with whoever they need to fall in love with?

I personally look forward to this day, when our sexuality is no longer a cause to have to play the white knight.

But there will still be reason to write these stories as well, just as there are still reasons to write about the holocaust.