When you are writing...

Do you ever get so emotionally overwhelmed by a story that you find yourself on the edge of tears?

Does it hurt so much you just want to hit save and go play a game with no emotional stakes?

What I'm writing now- I feel like the ink might as well be blood & tears.

It might just be the best thing I've ever done if I'm tough enough to stay in the saddle.

Sometimes, very rarely a story concept come along that tasks us to push ourselves to the very edge and be more than we were at the start. I don't know. Maybe it's a God thing and I am too spiritually blind to see or even hope to understand it.

Once in a very rare while lightning strikes.

I dare take it in my hands and shape it.

If it becomes, it was not just me.

Something else is going on. Something I don't understand or question, because in this I am just the messenger.

Do you ever get so emotionally overwhelmed by a story that you find yourself on the edge of tears?

Does it hurt so much you just want to hit save and go play a game with no emotional stakes?

Yes, in fact I strongly believe that my very best writing is from those experiences. So much so that I find myself setting a story aside and thinking that it's not worth it when I don't have a glimmer of this feeling.

Guest Dabeagle

Yes, in fact I strongly believe that my very best writing is from those experiences. So much so that I find myself setting a story aside and thinking that it's not worth it when I don't have a glimmer of this feeling.

I think you have to persevere through that to find the good stuff.

I am a strong believer in the fact that every story has a soul of it's own, and normally that soul is crafted from the storyteller's. Sometimes this comes from emotions that we are comfortable with, that are longstanding companions. When we write from these places the writing may be good, but we don't notice the feeling as much because it's part of our everyday selves. But sometimes that soul comes from a place deep inside, hidden places that we don't often wander within ourselves. When we dare take the step into those parts of ourselves that we had previously left untouched that's where the magic lies, for that's when we are faced with emotions yearning to be freed. That's when, if we allow ourselves to free those emotions, we lose ourselves in the expression of those feelings.

The muse is always telling us, like a stern mother, that we need to clear out the clutter and let the stories flow. I've found that my worst writer's block comes from when I refuse to let the story take the shape it wants to, often because I'm scared of facing the unknown, the parts of me I don't want unburied...

But yes, I've definitely felt it. I've always felt that the best writing I've done has come about by facinh those emotions and letting them run free onto the page.

I don't know if any of that made sense... Maybe I shouldn't post on three hours of sleep in the last 48 hours... Carry on.

But yes, I've definitely felt it. I've always felt that the best writing I've done has come about by facing those emotions and letting them run free onto the page.

And one of your very best is The Silence. Anyone who hasn't read it should do so, and ponder over the words and how they relate and differentiate. This story is like a poem in prose form.

Colin :icon_geek:

And one of your very best is The Silence. Anyone who hasn't read it should do so, and ponder over the words and how they relate and differentiate. This story is like a poem in prose form.

Colin :icon_geek:

Thank you, Colin. I appreciate the kudos!

That was definitely an emotional piece for me, and I had to walk away from it several times because I was feeling too much. I normally write from negative emotion, but in this case I wrote from positive emotion, and it came out incredibly different than anything else I've ever done.

I'm back from visiting the nieces and nephews. They got the flu for Christmas so we rescheduled so everyone could be there without the plague.

I jumped right back into the story and it's the same vibe. It's going to take a while but I think I've got something special brewing.

One of my nieces is studying child and adolescent psychology and we had a nice long chat about my characters. I knew them before. Now I've got them nailed.

• 6 months later...

Yes!

No, because it is those times that you must go through it or lose it. You can't get it back.

What I'm writing now- I feel like the ink might as well be blood & tears.

I use a word processor.

It might just be the best thing I've ever done if I'm tough enough to stay in the saddle.

Hold on, you will not die..

Sometimes, very rarely a story concept come along that tasks us to push ourselves to the very edge and be more than we were at the start. I don't know. Maybe it's a God thing and I am too spiritually blind to see or even hope to understand it.

It is your muse so thank god you got one, most people don't. what you have cannot be summoned, it just happens!

It's the creative process, it is what you signed on for. You have nothing to complane about and a lot to be grateful for.

Most of my stories are cathartic. I am in each of my stories in some form and there are times when it is almost too painful. The scene in Act Two of Wicked Boys when Jeremy hears his father speaking of how proud he is of the boy was agonizing for me to write. I think those are the moments when a writer's work is most realistic. Sometimes, it has to hurt.

Most of my stories are cathartic. I am in each of my stories in some form and there are times when it is almost too painful. The scene in Act Two of Wicked Boys when Jeremy hears his father speaking of how proud he is of the boy was agonizing for me to write. I think those are the moments when a writer's work is most realistic. Sometimes, it has to hurt.

Can you imagine a work without any of those moments? Those elements are crucial in making a story worth reading. Without them, zzzzzz...