Curiosity Question

The main prob from my view point is the difference between American speak and English speak.

Yeah, there are differences, and they can be major.

I once made the mistake of complimenting a writer on a very fine novel he did on Nifty, but chided him (very mildly) on some "British-isms" that crept into the story. The tale took place in an unspecified city in California, and the characters were all-American boys, but every so often, things went... uh, a "bit wonky."

For example, in one scene, he dropped in the phrase "Father Christmas," which caused me to almost do a spit-take. No bloody *way* would an American refer to that character by any name but Santa Claus. Kris Kringle... maybe. St. Nick... OK. But not Father C. (And there was a lot of the word "bloody" in the story, too, which I think doesn't happen that often here in the States.) Stuff like this immediately flagged it as "fake" in my book, and I told him the characters just didn't ring true -- and I hear Calfornia teenagers speak every other day of the week.

The author was absolutely indignant about my comments and really lit into me in email, which astonished me since 99% of my comments were quite positive. (If I can find the name of the story again, I'll recommend it for the BoN list.) He was convinced that, because he had a couple of friends who were Americans, and he'd heard them speak a few times, he knew American dialog better than I did. :lol:

But believe me: if I wrote a story that took place in England or Australia, I'd damned sure run it past a resident to make sure I got the hang of the dialog.

The main prob from my view point is the difference between American speak and English speak.

Yeah, there are differences, and they can be major ... He was convinced that, because he had a couple of friends who were Americans, and he'd heard them speak a few times, he knew American dialog better than I did. :mad:

But believe me: if I wrote a story that took place in England or Australia, I'd damned sure run it past a resident to make sure I got the hang of the dialog.

Yes, if you aren't absolutely fluent in a language a second set of eyes can't hurt. I am proficient in three dialects of English and in American and Canadian I can pass both written and spoken as a native. Although I know British English very well and am very profficient in its written form, I am not perfect and forget me trying to speak it. Hah.

Yes, not the same language Indeed.

• 11 months later...