Bush 'happy' for pregnant Mary Cheney

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Vice President Dick Cheney's pregnant lesbian daughter Mary will make a "fine mom," President Bush said, sidestepping his past comment that a child ideally would be raised by a mother and father.

Mary Cheney, 37, and her longtime partner, Heather Poe, are expecting their first child, which would be the sixth grandchild for the vice president. Cheney was hired last year as an executive for America Online -- whose parent company Time Warner also owns People as well as CNN.

"I think Mary is going to be a loving soul to her child. And I'm happy for her," Bush said in an interview with People magazine.

The Washington Post reported that the baby was due in late spring.

In a 2005 interview with The New York Times, Bush said: "I believe children can receive love from gay couples. But the ideal is -- and studies have shown that --the ideal is where a child is raised in a married family with a man and a woman."

He sidestepped the issue when questioned by People magazine about whether he still held that belief.

"Mary Cheney is going to make a fine mom, and she's going to love this child a lot," he said, according to an excerpt from the interview. During the 2004 campaign, Mary Cheney served as a key aide to her father.

White House spokesman Tony Snow said Bush stood by his belief about a mother and father but also believes that "every human life is sacred and that every child that comes into this world deserves love and he believes that Mary Cheney's child will in fact have loving parents."

Bush has supported a constitutional ban on same-sex marriages, but Congress failed to pass it. The vice president's daughter opposed the measure.

Cheney's pregnancy has drawn fire from some conservatives, including James Dobson, chairman of the Focus on the Family lobbying group, who has clashed with the Bush administration in the past.

"We should not enter into yet another untested and far-reaching social experiment, this one driven by the desires of same-sex couples to bear and raise children," Dobson said in a recent commentary published on the organization's Web site.

However, he said his position was not meant to "harm or insult women such as Cheney and Poe."

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/15/bus...reut/index.html

"We should not enter into yet another untested and far-reaching social experiment, this one driven by the desires of same-sex couples to bear and raise children," Dobson said in a recent commentary published on the organization's Web site.

However, he said his position was not meant to "harm or insult women such as Cheney and Poe."

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/15/bus...reut/index.html

Yeah, right! -- Asshole. :icon1::icon1:

Allow me to share with you a quote as I wish Mary a rewarding journey into motherhood:

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

~ H.L. Mencken (July 26, 1920)

Jack :icon1:

Dobson's position reeks of homophobia and discrimination against people who find themselves by choice or circumstance raising children to the best of their ability. His statement about "another untested and far-reaching social experiment" is extremely worrying as it can be used to limit the progress of acceptance of the variations of caring and loving human relationships.

My husband and I, at every opportunity, have tried extremely hard to have children, for over 30 years. Alas to no avail. Neither of us seem to be able to get pregnant. :icon1:

The following was clipped from: http://www.teachthefacts.org/vigilance.html

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Time Rebuts Time

[Note to new visitors: the Dobson-plagiarism post follows this one.]

I think the folks over at Time realized they screwed up, providing an outlet for the poisonous hypocrisy of James Dobson. This evening they gave Jennifer Chrisler of the Family Pride Coalition a chance to ... shall we say ... provide some balance.

She does not mince words.

... Responding to the news of the pregnancy of Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of the Vice President, Dobson, writing in a viewpoint in TIME magazine, put to work the time-worn tools of lies and distortion to make his argument that lesbian and gay parents are not able to provide environments for their children comparable in quality to those created by heterosexual parents.

These are the facts. According to the 2000 census, the vast majority ? more than 75% ? of American children are being raised in families that differ in structure from two married, heterosexual parents and their biological children. We are a nation of blended and multi-generational families, adoptive and foster families, and families headed by single parents, divorced parents, unmarried parents, same-sex couples and more. Despite Dobson's assertions to the contrary, there is no single "traditional" family structure in the United States. Two Mommies or Two Daddies Will Do Fine, Thanks

There's a ton of good stuff here ...

I liked this one:

... To say that Dobson is misinformed here would be inaccurate. He is simply lying. The people who are misinformed by these untruths are the readers of his material and those who publish his work without appropriately verifying his assertions....

Ooh, she's talking about Time ... in Time. And they're publishing it. That, in itself, is remarkable. They know they screwed up.

I'm leaving a lot out, go click on the link and see. Here's how she finishes him off:

The fundamental reality is that all parents, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, are linked in a very real way. We want our children to be safe, healthy and happy. When any of our families are politicized, it is an assault on our ability to protect ourselves, each other and our children. When people like Dobson profess "concern" for the welfare of children, while simultaneously attacking those very children's parents and family structures, their insincerity becomes evident. If their paramount focus is truly the health and well-being of children, then we invite Dobson and his colleagues to join our fight to ensure that all loving families are recognized, respected, protected and celebrated.

As Montgomery County has been under attack by these same nuts for two years now (our local nuts have just enough gas left to possibly get them to the next lawsuit), we have learned a lot about how to read them, we've learned not to take them seriously, we've learned to sling stuff right back at them. But most people are trusting, and not everybody takes the time to learn the facts, so people like Dobson who simply make assertions with nothing to support them are able to gather a following.

We've had to deal with them here, undermining our public schools, insulting reasonable and good people, lying, misconstruing everything that is said in good faith.

The lesson learned is that you've got to stand up and fight back, you've got to be tough, or eventually the bad will drive out the good.

Thank you, Time, for having the decency to publish this.

posted by JimK at 9:26 PM 44 comments