A Workshop

Back in November '06, I received a flyer at work for a seminar entitled, "Mistake-Free Grammar and Proofreading". It was geared more towards business writing, but I figured, what the hell, why not take it. It might help me in what I do for some of you. A refresher course, if you will.

It was an interesting day. The presenter made it fun. She covered things like Proof at least twice, Simple Sentences, Compound Sentences, Complex Sentences, Hyphens, and a 3-Step System of Possessives.

I also picked up a copy of 'The Grammar Reference Guide', with a bonus CD.

The guide covers a lot of different things.

Writing Effective Sentences

Sentence Construction

Sentence Bridges

Types of Sentences

Common Sentence Problems

Spelling

Usage

Punctuation

Plurals and Possessives

Titles and Capitalization

Electronic Mail

Exercises in Grammar - 20 of them, complete with answers.

I'll probably be starting some discussions on some of these things. I've told a couple of my authors about going to this workshop and one of them is eager for me to share it with him. I've also used this information on some articles for an upcoming newsletter and a story chapter. Lets just say I wasn't as gentle as I normally am.

Jan

Sounds thrilling.

But valuable nonetheless.

I'm not good with the "read between the lines" stuff. Either you have used 'but' in correctly, or you think that thrilling things cannot be valuable. Actually, you may be using sarcasm, and actually are saying it sounds 'boring'.

Hmm. To me it does sound thrilling, AND valuable. :icon13:

• 2 weeks later...
I also picked up a copy of 'The Grammar Reference Guide', with a bonus CD.

The guide covers a lot of different things.

Writing Effective Sentences

Sentence Construction

Sentence Bridges

Types of Sentences

Common Sentence Problems

Spelling

Usage

Punctuation

Plurals and Possessives

Titles and Capitalization

Electronic Mail

Exercises in Grammar - 20 of them, complete with answers.

I'll probably be starting some discussions on some of these things. I've told a couple of my authors about going to this workshop and one of them is eager for me to share it with him. I've also used this information on some articles for an upcoming newsletter and a story chapter. Lets just say I wasn't as gentle as I normally am.

The Grammar Reference Guide is available (with the CD) on amazon.com for $34.95.

Colin :evilgrin: