Happy Fourth Of July

Thanks Des. And thanks for the Happy Canada Day wishes for us Canajuns on July 1st. (Don't sweat it Des. I don't know the Aussie 'day' either.)

Thanks Des. And thanks for the Happy Canada Day wishes for us Canajuns on July 1st. (Don't sweat it Des. I don't know the Aussie 'day' either.)

Thanks, Des. I wished the Canucks the best on another site this past Sunday. Oz celebrates Australia Day towards the end of January. Here's a nice quote I found:

On Australia Day we come together as a nation to celebrate what's great about Australia and being Australian. It's the day to reflect on what we have achieved and what we can be proud of in our great nation.

With the temps in P.S. scheduled to hit 120 degrees F. tomorrow, I think I'll take in a movie...and write a little. Maybe watch the fireworks on the telly.

Jack :icon10:

Thanks, Des. I wished the Canucks the best on another site this past Sunday. Oz celebrates Australia Day towards the end of January. Here's a nice quote I found:

On Australia Day we come together as a nation to celebrate what's great about Australia and being Australian. It's the day to reflect on what we have achieved and what we can be proud of in our great nation.

With the temps in P.S. scheduled to hit 120 degrees F. tomorrow, I think I'll take in a movie...and write a little. Maybe watch the fireworks on the telly.

Jack :wave:

Jack thank you for that Australia day quote. I appreciate it very much.

Australians however have a healthy, suspicious if not cynical regard when such statements are made by politicians.

We value the same remarks highly when they are said by our work-mates and our friends.

Don't misunderstand me please, we tend to be a bit embarrassed about our patriotism, but we are deeply committed to our land and all that Aussie freedom stands for. We will, like all our allies, stand steadfast in our loyalty to each other, our ideals, land and our friends. Thank you again Jack. Now if you come around next Australia Day January 26th, we will put another shrimp on the barbie for you. :icon10: If you are lucky we might even get you drunk and let you have your way with us.

Of course I should add that not all Aussies would agree with what I say above, but the freedom to dissent is also indicative of our culture. Now if only we had it written into a bill of Rights. :wave:

That's enough about us Aussies, It is your day my American friends, so please enjoy and have a great celebration.

Trab, I was thinkng when I made the original post about how many other countries was I missing out in wishing well because I don't know there national day? So Canada is July 1st. I hope you had a great day too.

Ironic, or strange, or whatever one might call it, but many, if not most, Canadians are rather lacklustre when it comes to patriotism. In fact, a recent survey of young people produced an interesting perspective. When asked "What is it that makes you feel Canada is great, unique?" a huge number (I believe it was a majority) came back comments such as, "We don't wave the flag, but just let people come here to be themselves."

Elsewhere I have read that the USA considers itself to be a melting pot of cultures. That may very well be true, but here we seem to have made it the open market, with each one retaining their own cultures yet coexisting quite well, for the most part.

Trab I think Australia shares your idea of open market. Unfortunately there is also now a lurking, limiting right wing mentality invading the freedoms of the market based on the idea of "user pays," and then pays some more.

Certainly I see many similarities in our cultures, and in conjunction with other nations around the world there is a real potential for peaceful and productive coexistence. That is why it is so important that places like Canada and Australia do not give in to those who would limit the freedoms we have fought so hard to gain.

I would agree with your young people, but I also think that having a day of celebration for one's country is terrific. I think each country will and should celebrate it in accordance with their own national self-image and if that is pluralistic, or a melting pot, or multi-cultural, then so be it.

We don't have a lot of flag waving in OZ either, but there is a national identity growing. I just hope it has that multiple culture open market mentality you describe. :wave:

Personally I would welcome the idea of celebrating an Earth Day as I am an Earthling. I also like the idea of a Universe Day because in reality we are all living amongst the stars. But that is just me...sigh... :icon10:

Thanks Des! I'll eat an extra burger in your name. :icon10: And I've added Australia Day 2008 to my calendar for Monday January 28 to send you mates s congrats on your holiday! :wave:

Colin :wave:

Thanks Des! I'll eat an extra burger in your name. :icon10: And I've added Australia Day 2008 to my calendar for Monday January 28 to send you mates s congrats on your holiday! :wave:

Colin :wave:

What can I say Colin? Eating a burger for a vegetarian. :wave: Actually the Burger I most wanted to eat was the lead character in the musical HAIR.

Monday 28th 2008 will be our official Holiday as Australia Day 26th January will be on a Saturday. We transfer our holidays to a weekday if they fall on a weekend so no one misses out having a day off.

Y'all have a great time, dudes.

What can I say Colin? Eating a burger for a vegetarian. :icon10: Actually the Burger I most wanted to eat was the lead character in the musical HAIR.

Monday 28th 2008 will be our official Holiday as Australia Day 26th January will be on a Saturday. We transfer our holidays to a weekday if they fall on a weekend so no one misses out having a day off.

Y'all have a great time, dudes.

We do the same thing here. If the holiday falls on Saturday, it's celebrated on Friday. If it falls on Sunday, then it's celebrated on Monday.

Happy 4th of July!

When we have our holidays, we celebrate it on the actual day, but if that day is on a Saturday or a Sunday, we get a 'day in lieu of' either Friday or Monday, so we get the best of everything! :icon10:

I wonder

My birthday is on 26th of January, and Australia celebrates it's national holiday on the same day.

So that must mean, in reality, Australia celebrates my birthday.

Thanks for the well wishes

Jason R.

I wonder

My birthday is on 26th of January, and Australia celebrates it's national holiday on the same day.

So that must mean, in reality, Australia celebrates my birthday.

Thanks for the well wishes

Jason R.

I knew it! That explains everything.

Jason is really Australia and I am Captain Cook who will discover... okay I think I better stop there. :wave:

Jason, one of my only true loves also has his birthday on January 26. He was also of American parents, though he was born in OZ.

He used to claim exactly the same thing, that we were celebrating his birthday.

He would recite the Gettysburg address on Australia Day, then sing Advance Australia Fair at which time we would sing him Happy Birthday just to keep him quiet.

This makes you an Aquarian, Jason and this is your Age of Aquarius...Aquaaaariuuus...:wave:

*Takes out his Hair soundtrack and plays Aquarius while dancing around the room*

sigh...

:icon10::wave: