Gay Princes at California HS

dude

Gay Princes at California HS

By: ANDY HUMM

11/02/2007

Davis (California) Senior High School's junior class elected Brandon Raphael and Kiernan Gatewood, a gay male couple, as their homecoming princes this year, the first time a gay couple has been so honored according to the Sacramento Bee. The boys, both 16, rode in the homecoming parade on the back of a pick-up truck, arm in arm and waving to the crowd.

Raphael told the newspaper, "It's a liberal town. Go ten miles in any other direction and you'll get some other feeling."

?GayCityNews 2007

That's too awesome!! :D

:wav:

Maddy (:

Davis is about 20 miles west of downtown Sacramento, in the middle of perhaps the richest farming area in the country. It's the home of the University of California at Davis, which is one of the primary reasons that Davis has such a liberal population.

Here's a link to the story in the Sacramento Bee: www.sacbee.com/101/story/430062.html. It has two pictures of the two guys who were elected homecoming princes, Brandon and Kieman. I read the posts and they're almost better than the article (there's a link at the end of the article, and I copied it here: View All Comments).

Colin :icon11:

What an amazing article.

I liked this comment's way of putting it:

Hope you adults can learn to tolerate your kid's tolerance.

More teens today truly do think more positively and healthily about it. Y'all are much better off that way than we who are older, whatever our opinions.

What does it say about me or my high school classmates, that about 30 or 40 of us must've been GLBT, but I didn't know for sure about anyone else, and didn't know the real attitudes of most of my friends? -- But we had our school's first male cheerleader... for awhile, gay or not.

What does it say? It says we were typical of our times, unfortunately.

I'm glad more teens are so accepting now.

Like Graeme, I wish it were so accepted that it wasn't news at all.

-- Congratulations, guys. Go show 'em love can be bigger and more varied than they think! Or better yet, just be yourselves. I think that's the best example you could give.

Davis is about 20 miles west of downtown Sacramento, in the middle of perhaps the richest farming area in the country. It's the home of the University of California at Davis, which is one of the primary reasons that Davis has such a liberal population.

Here's a link to the story in the Sacramento Bee: www.sacbee.com/101/story/430062.html. It has two pictures of the two guys who were elected homecoming princes, Brandon and Kieman. I read the posts and they're almost better than the article (there's a link at the end of the article, and I copied it here: View All Comments).

Colin :icon11:

:yay! Thanks for the linky! :D

Maddy

*reads comments :D*