EEEPC

sumbloke

WARNING: not really about web wizardry - only maginally on-topic!

I was wondering if anyone else bought an eeepc?

I've had mine now for a few weeks and I really love it. It's brilliantly portable (just under a kilo); the keyboard is (just) touchtypable; the display is more than acceptable; battery life is bearable; the software (system and applications) is great.

I carry it just about everywhere and I've stopped lugging my tosh around altogether. It's true that the asus has got limited diskspace but then I have my data on a 4Gb usb drive anyway. I am happy with OpenOffice and haven't had any interoperability problems at all and I use the whole suite: Writer, Draw, Calc, Impress (OK so I don't use Base!).

The wireless works fine and connects immediately to most hotspots. The only difficult one to configure has been the campus wireless network. That one took some delving into the linux config files but I got there.

I used to mess around synchronising my calendar between my 'puter and my phone but now I don't bother. It's simple enough to pull the eeepc out and check what's going on when I need to.

I've shocked myself by even doing some programming work on it when I've been out and about and had a spare, unproductive moment. No problem at all developing C++ programs. I am thinking about installing Apache so that I can do my PHP development when I'm mobile.

Overall I'm impressed with it. It doesn't have quite the slick design of an Apple appliance, but it more than does the job for me. It nicely combines powerful PDA-style functions with pretty good basic applications and networking. I looked at the Mac Air when it was announced and just thought...hmmm not really.

It's a perfect topic!

When you say the keyboard is (just) touchtypable, how just is just? I'm wondering 'cause I have big fingers. Also the screen at 7" seems a tad small.

I'd love a Mac Air, but I'd be terrified of sitting on it, losing it in its brown envelope, or paying for it. 5 or six EEEPCs for the price.

I've almost sold myself one! :hehe:

Cheers,

Camy

It's a perfect topic!

When you say the keyboard is (just) touchtypable, how just is just? I'm wondering 'cause I have big fingers. Also the screen at 7" seems a tad small.

I'd love a Mac Air, but I'd be terrified of sitting on it, losing it in its brown envelope, or paying for it. 5 or six EEEPCs for the price.

I've almost sold myself one! :hehe:

Cheers,

Camy

The keyboard is tiny. I've got pretty big hands and it took a few days to get used to and it still feels cramped using but it's doable. Of course, a lot of the time I don't touch type on the Asus. I "hunt and peck" unless I'm the job really requires extended typing. I would recommend spending a while (and I think half an hour rather than five minutes) using one before you buy.

The screen size is small but I have no trouble using it. I've been reading stories on it fine and watching the odd youtube vid. Given that I was considering a Palm PDA, the screen isn't an issue.

The Mac is nice but the Asus wins on price hands down. In terms of fucntionality, what could I do on the Mac that I want to do and can't do on the Asus? Nothing in my case. No contest.

Yak

• 3 months later...

The 7" Asus is too small for me. When it comes to stuff like this, I'd much rather have 9" than 7".

:icon_geek:

But seriously: the 9" Asus is a better deal. The specs are here on Amazon.

Could someone point to a website with details about this machine?

My Mum has been making noises about wanting to be connected and it might be just the trick.

Could someone point to a website with details about this machine?

My Mum has been making noises about wanting to be connected and it might be just the trick.

I seen it on amazon James. runs around 500 bucks for one of them.

I don't think the EeePC is a good choice as a first computer. It's slow, has a tiny keyboard and screen, and is very difficult to expand.

There's a dozen $399 desktop PCs available at all the big box distributors (Wal-Mart, Costco, Office Depot, etc.) that will be better for what a first-time user needs. Get her a decent machine with at least a 15" display and Windows XP.

And if you can afford it, get her a cheap Mac, like a Mac Mini or an iMac. It'll cost you more than an equivalent Windows machine, but I think Macs are much easier for new computer users to adapt to. Used ones are plentiful and cheap.

I don't think the EeePC is a good choice as a first computer. It's slow, has a tiny keyboard and screen, and is very difficult to expand.

There's a dozen $399 desktop PCs available at all the big box distributors (Wal-Mart, Costco, Office Depot, etc.) that will be better for what a first-time user needs. Get her a decent machine with at least a 15" display and Windows XP.

And if you can afford it, get her a cheap Mac, like a Mac Mini or an iMac. It'll cost you more than an equivalent Windows machine, but I think Macs are much easier for new computer users to adapt to. Used ones are plentiful and cheap.

I agree. My grandpa bought my grandma one of the smaller (but not EEPC size) laptops with a 12" screen, and she said the type was too small and she couldn't read emails. They traded it in (he bought it at Best Buy) for a laptop with a 16" screen and she loves it. She never moves it, so weight and size weren't a consideration.

Colin :hug:

I don't think the EeePC is a good choice as a first computer. It's slow,

The eeepc is slow? Compared to what? Are you talking dhrystones or what? I don't find the machine slow at all - it certainly boots much faster than any windows machine I know. It's fast enough for internet apps and desktop apps without any frustration - about as fast as my desktop linux box. I wouldn't play games on it...but I don't play games.

has a tiny keyboard and screen,

It does have - that's its usp. What does that have to do with its suitability as a first computer?

and is very difficult to expand.

It's a feature. The machine was designed as an appliance apple stylee. If you want to be expanding and pimping your first pc then the eeepc is not for you. If you want a machine you can use for desktop applications and net stuff out of the box with no need of a manual then it's definitely a contender.

The expandability issue shouldn't be overstated anyway. A nice big usb key is easy enough to get hold of for storage and it's easy enough to replace the dimm and change the settings, if you need to, to allow 2Gb of ram.

I think most people will want a desktop with a bigger monitor probably and it's a shame that that means they'll have to deal with windows in most cases (a gOS machine is a good alternative and I think walmart have them, if you shop with union busters). But if you need a portable device then the eeepc beats anything out there in terms of bang per buck.

Can't comment. I find MacOS confusing and impossible to understand but I use macs easily enough just by starting a terminal and going from there.

On the whole for a (cough) senior, I would think a nice big monitor and a full size keyboard and pointing device (worth checking whether they prefer a track ball or table to a mouse...) are the main priorities and probably the cheapest way to get all those is a cheap desktop. I am biased but given the choice I wouldn't force windows on any poor new computer user but there may not be much choice. The eeepc is above all a portable appliance - it was designed to be a cheap carry round all day wp/netbrowser etc for school kids. It turns out that a lot of people find it's a great all purpose notebook as well. Out of the box it's about the best machine for new users I've seen - much easier to use than a windows or mac computer.

Yak

Or get an emachine, if you need a desktop those are extremely cheap.

Mostly that i find cool about is, it's very cheap, only a dell laptop is almost as cheap, it's weight, just the screen I find too small, if it has a hdmi or dvi I could hook it up to another monitor. again it's only around 530 bucks on amazon, I would like to try it out, but I never saw it on a store.

I find macs easy as well. even when it was just 0s 8 and 9. But for a first time computer user, I don't know.

I disagree with Sumbloke above, but concede it's a matter of philosophy.

On the other hand I agree completely with Drewbie. He hits the same points I would make. As much as I'm inclined to look at the EeePC or the HP Mini-Note, I think my current thriftiness makes me inclined to just buy a piece of crap $399 Dell or something on sale, simply because you can easily put 2GB of RAM in it, it comes with XP, and has a built-in DVD burner and Wi-Fi. All those are must-haves for anything I need to do.

I firmly believe that Mac OSX is the best system for a first-time computer-user to dive in to, especially when compared to Windows (XP or Vista). Veteran computer guru Leo Laporte agrees, and has some good tips about this on his website here.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rustic Monk

i just want to go on record by saying i have an eeepc.forget which model. like 700 (or 701), i think. can't believe the 900 is already out. my favorite thing about these computers are the mods! SO, it should be totally obvious this isn't my first computer. i'm using linux right now as an OS on it and I have to say I'm going to be running linux on the next desktop I get.

the only bad things about the eeepc are that sometimes there are problems with data sticks sometimes and it has a tiny keyboard. but, i'm adaptable. so it doesn't really matter. i got the one without the webcam because it breaks a lot. 'sides, I can add it to the 900 once I get it. (which I will, I love these things)

if you're looking for a first computer. sorry! this computer is a good first computer for 8 year olds and people who know what they're doing. LOL. old people definitely won't be able to read the screen, or posses the dexterity to use the keyboard.

:: shrugs ::

if you need something mobile and small. this is the one, really. don't let the nay-sayers scare you away. the OS that comes stock is easy to use, and so are most of the functions. with the exception of a language dictionary that only works for english and chinese. but I think that's because there's a chinese tripwire I haven't found inside it yet. *ahem*

i don't know if anyone realized, but we're talking about a LAPTOP COMPUTER. its' supposed to be small. It is a little slow, comparitively. to anything running over a Ghz. but the eeepc actually is easily upgraded and modded.

so, if you're adventerous, don't mind cracking a circuit board or two, and already own a 701 eee pc, this website is the shit.

http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/E...ternal_Upgrades

anyway2, l8r.

Dell and several other major companies have just announced similar micro-sized laptops designed to compete with the EeePC. Also, Asus just bowed a 10" EeePC about a week ago at Computex in Taiwan. This is a very hot category right now, but the competition can only be good for buyers.

I gotta say, though, when it comes to a 7" computer, give me a 10" any day.

:icon6:

• 2 months later...

I started out with a 700 running linux and it was brill. I liked it so much I got a 900 but the battery on that were pants. It gave me an hour if I was lucky. I think in certain part of Europe we got shafted becasue the initial reviews never said nothing about poor battery life. I got me a 901 now I couldn't get hold of linux so I got XP. The battery on this baby out performs even my 700 and my notebook which can go about 3 hours on battery. Its quick to charge to.

I like the little keyboard makes them keys easier to find hehe.

Eeepcs rock.

Welcome, Mr. (or Ms. Unwanted). I gotta confess, I looked at the 7", 9", and 10" Eeepc, and finally opted for the big 10" only because of the keyboard. Them damn tiny little keys on the others didn't quite work for me. The 10" is a lot more workable, and I agree, XP is the way to go.

Almost no battery issues for me so far. I try to keep the Wi-Fi off when I'm not using it, and I think that helps. Most of the time, I'm using it in dark rooms at work, so I can run the screen brightness pretty low, and that also extends the battery life.

The single worst thing about the Eeepc is the trackpad, mainly the mouse-click bar. It's hideous -- hurts the hell outta my carpal-tunnel-afflicted thumb. I finally threw in the towel and just bought a tiny external mouse instead, and that works for me. I love the trackpads on the Macbooks -- those are excellent and totally usable.

This is a terrific little tiny machine, perfect as a traveling computer. Can't wait to take it on vacation to San Francisco in a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...