Mac help please!

Camy

I've finally got a mac. It's a 2nd hand dual core 2.0 ghz with 4.5 Mbs of Ram. It's running Tiger, and I want to know if there is any point in updating to Leopard. Primarily I'm using it to run Logic 8 (it also has final cut pro on it).

I'm also online with it, and am somewhat unsure as to security. What do I do about firewalls and virus protection?

Cheers all,

Camy

PS what do you think of the camino browser?

I've finally got a mac. It's a 2nd hand dual core 2.0 ghz with 4.5 gigs of Ram. It's running Tiger, and I want to know if there is any point in updating to Leopard. Primarily I'm using it to run Logic 8 (it also has final cut pro on it).

I'm also online with it, and am somewhat unsure as to security. What do I do about firewalls and virus protection?

PS what do you think of the camino browser?

1. If you don't need Leopard, no real need to upgrade at this time. At some point in future, Tiger support will be limited and you'll want to do it. It may be better to do it now and get used to Leopard instead of Tiger as they operate differently.

2. Camino? I am not a fan of it but if you like it, fine. Most financial sites work with Safari and Firefox only. (IE is not a Mac option. They gave up.) I love Firefox and that would be my ongoing recommendation v2 or v3 at your leisure. Add AeroSilverFox theme to make it more MacLike :)

3. Firewall? There's one built into the Mac, just turn it on (use MacHelp and search on Firewall). However most Cable/DSL routers have a built in one. Much better. Software firewalls slow your computer down. And never ever run two firewalls at once. Bad Idea.

4. Virus Software. I removed Norton NAV a few YEARS ago and run without any virus protection. It's a Mac. If your Mac asks for your admin password and you don't know why, then you have an issue. Without typing this password NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.

You can also email me with Mac questions and I will gladly help.

1. If you don't need Leopard, no real need to upgrade at this time. At some point in future, Tiger support will be limited and you'll want to do it. It may be better to do it now and get used to Leopard instead of Tiger as they operate differently.

2. Camino? I am not a fan of it but if you like it, fine. Most financial sites work with Safari and Firefox only. (IE is not a Mac option. They gave up.) I love Firefox and that would be my ongoing recommendation v2 or v3 at your leisure. Add AeroSilverFox theme to make it more MacLike :)

3. Firewall? There's one built into the Mac, just turn it on (use MacHelp and search on Firewall). However most Cable/DSL routers have a built in one. Much better. Software firewalls slow your computer down. And never ever run two firewalls at once. Bad Idea.

4. Virus Software. I removed Norton NAV a few YEARS ago and run without any virus protection. It's a Mac. If your Mac asks for your admin password and you don't know why, then you have an issue. Without typing this password NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.

You can also email me with Mac questions and I will gladly help.

Thanks, Wibby: especially for the email offer which is much appreciated.

I used Mac's almost exclusively a few years back, but never migrated from OS 9.2 to OS X. Now I'm having fun re-learning.

I've finally got a mac. It's a 2nd hand dual core 2.0 ghz with 4.5 Mbs of Ram. It's running Tiger, and I want to know if there is any point in updating to Leopard. Primarily I'm using it to run Logic 8 (it also has final cut pro on it).

Congrats, Camy -- that's a great machine. I bet 60% of the people running Macs in the world don't have a machine that good. The 4.5GB of RAM is the biggest speed booster you got; RAM makes a bigger difference than clock speed, much of the time.

I disagree with Wibby (rare, but it happens). I say that you should upgrade to Leopard, and there are some advantages. The biggest security things you can do are:

1) don't open email attachments

2) don't ever click a link in an email

3) use a router between the computer and your internet connection, which gives it a hardware firewall (which I just saw WBMS also recommended).

4) keep file-sharing turned off (System Prefs -> Internet -> Sharing).

5) stay away from Bit Torrent (etc.). There's a lot of dangerous stuff up there, including malware, spyware, adware, viruses and trojan horses for all operating systems.

Safari 3 and Firefox 3 are both safe, terrific browsers for Mac OSX 10.5 and up.

P.S.: If you do upgrade to Leopard, then install a second empty drive at least as big as your main drive, and use it for Time Machine. It's an excellent, no-fuss backup system that won't slow the system down and works totally in the background. 500GB internal drives are down to about $75 right now -- that's cheap insurance in case of a crash.

I have leopard on mine, when mine was purchased it came with both disk got it last nov, you will be fine with tiger :)

I run anti virus just in case intego, and firewall.

I use camino, I seem to be fine with getting into my bank account on it.

Got a intel mac?

A mac pro or Imac?