Paul Potts

Has anyone ever heard of him? His name is something that I would dread having in high school, but...and I mean BUT, (he works a telephone warehouse.) nothing in the world prepared me for what I heard. Something amazing happened. He enterered a talent contest in Great Britten You've got to listen to this. I know it's not about writing, but it IS about what we all feel.

Richard

I had to play it again, and again.

Thank you Richard; :icon5: I have tears of joy from this.

The audience knew he was going to 'do it' before the smug judges did, but even they were overwhelmed, as they should be.

:wav:

He may not be Pavarotti, and he might benefit from a teacher, but he has the soul of an artist and the makings of a great singer.

I think he has a purity of tone rarely heard in today's tenors. Magnificent!

As far as posting this on the Forum goes, as long as I am the admin, I would never prohibit such a creative inspiration as this video.

After all, the composer had to write the song, which has both literary and poetic qualification as far as I am concerned. The music and the singing is icing on the cake.

For those of you unfamiliar with the work you can discover the words with translation at Wiki for this song, which I was going to name, but think it is better to leave it to surprise you.)

Play it first.

Yep I liked it. :lol:

As far as posting this on the Forum goes, as long as I am the admin, I would never prohibit such a creative inspiration as this video.

After all, the composer had to write the song, which has both literary and poetic qualification as far as I am concerned. The music and the singing is icing on the cake.

Des:

I don't speak a word of Italian, but that music has inspired me throughout my years. I'm not a big opera fan, but there a few solo pieces that I love to listen to.

I don't speak a word of Italian, but that music has inspired me throughout my years. I'm not a big opera fan, but there a few solo pieces that I love to listen to.

Richard, I think it is important to realise that literature encompasses the sounds of a language.

Opera in a foreign language that is not the native tongue or even understood by the audience, may well be more capable of communicating the composer's emotional intentions, simply because the words' meanings do not get in the way.

In this regard we are concerned with the sound; the form of the evocation rather than the meaning contained in the content of the form.

Sometimes I think we forget that how words sound, can convey a message as much as the meaning of those words. At times even more, because they are working at the much deeper level of empathy than the intellect.

At rare moments the intellect, the emotion and the empathy come together and touch us all, but that is another subject.

Literature is part of this view of form and content.

I think that's why I like classical music the way I do. I get very emotionally involved with music, and most of the time the words are irrelevant to me. I see life and I hear the music behind it. Music can rip your heart out or build you up to the level of the Gods. To me it's a force to behold.

But lately, I've started to listen to the words, the poetry accompanying the music...and my heart crumbles. I'm seeing and feeling more now. Even at my age, I continue to grow.

Richard

I see life and I hear the music behind it.

I understand, it has always been like that for me, too.

I have a theory that there are people whose existence is based on hearing.

Just as there are people whose life revolves around the visual, there are those for whom sound forms the basis of their raison d'?tre.

I love opera, and this guy is amazing. I also think that it's amazing that he won the Britain's Got Talent contest last year for singing an operatic aria. You can listen to samples of the songs on his CD One Chance [EXTRA TRACKS] on amazon.com. Only one of the songs on this CD is an operatic area (Nessun Dorma); the rest are pop songs. I think he'll need some professional level coaching and a lot of practice to be able to handle an operatic role. I hope he's working toward that.

Colin :wav:

Ah, you see, I hate opera, but there's no question the guy is really talented. Always great when a TV show like this can pluck a guy from obscurity and put him on the path of fame and fortune. Ya gotta love a rags to riches story like this.

Ah, you see, I hate opera, ...
:sneaky:
...but there's no question the guy is really talented. Always great when a TV show like this can pluck a guy from obscurity and put him on the path of fame and fortune. Ya gotta love a rags to riches story like this.
:hehe:

Paul Potts has a great voice, and he definitely deserved to win 'Britain's Got Talent', but I was much more impressed by 6 year old Connie.

Maddy (:

Edit: Forgot to mention, this little girl was the favorite to win the competition, but... who could deny Potts the prize?