assistant attorney general of mich Andrew Shirvell

Drewbie

Also covered on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/28/michigan....blog/index.html

I have no problem with the state attorney general saying that a student (straight or gay) might have been immoral in seducing other students or using his or her power on the student-body staff as a way to get more popular. Where Shirvell scares me is when he brings religion into it:

"I'm a Christian citizen exercising my First Amendment rights," Shirvell told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "I have no problem with the fact that Chris is a homosexual. I have a problem with the fact that he's advancing a radical homosexual agenda."

As far as I'm concerned, this guy is with the Christian agenda. Neither sex nor religion belong in politics, period. Governments officials should be worried about PEOPLE, not their perceived morality, sexual preference, or anything else. I resent the guy bringing Christian anything into this.

I hope they slap the crap out of Shirvell and throw him out of office.

BTW: how can I get involved in the "radical homosexual agenda," and more importantly, does it pay?

BTW: how can I get involved in the "radical homosexual agenda," and more importantly, does it pay?

I think a radical homosexual is defined by the Christian Taliban as a gay man who won't stay in the closet and give it up to their priest or minister.

As far as I'm concerned, this guy is with the Christian agenda. Neither sex nor religion belong in politics, period. Governments officials should be worried about PEOPLE, not their perceived morality, sexual preference, or anything else. I resent the guy bringing Christian anything into this.

I agree with you, except I call it the christian nazi agenda. It's a better title for what they're doing. Note my lack cf capitalization for the cna. They don't deserve to have anything capitalized as a proper noun. Nothing proper about them at all.

I hope they slap the crap out of Shirvell and throw him out of office.

When Shirvell runs for reelection he should be slapped with the same kind of blog as being the Anti-Christ, one of Lucifer's assistants, a closet homosexual, etc. etc. It could be fun.

Colin :sad:

The one and only good thing about this Shirvell guy, is that he is a living(?) reminder to us all of what the current Morlocks are up to in their largely successful takeover of the right wing.

I don't know, but I just popped an e-mail off to the Michigan Attorney General voicing my opionion of his AAG. I just bet their e-mail box is buzzing this morning.

Edit to add: miag@michigan.gov In case anybody is interested.

sent:

Dear Sir:

Given the actions of Andrew Shirvell regarding Chris Armstrong, it is inappropriate for him to remain employed in a role where his obvious bias can cause injury to otherwise innocent citizens.

Given his public statements, can you even imagine Andrew Shirvell presiding over the fair trial of a gay citizen?

If Chris Armstrong were black instead of gay, he would have been out the door weeks ago.

Do the right thing. Actions like this can not be tolerated for the same reason that you would not have a klansman in your office.

----

James Savik

How can he not be in trouble?

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/daily...shirvell-office

From the Daily: Undisguised bigotry

Print | E-mail | Letter to the editor

By: The Michigan Daily

Published September 15th, 2010

Often, it?s best to turn the other cheek in the face of hateful ignorance. But when hate speech is extreme and public, it must be confronted. Andrew Shirvell, a University alum and a current assistant attorney general for the state of Michigan, has taken aim at the Michigan Student Assembly President Chris Armstrong almost exclusively because Armstrong is MSA?s first openly gay president. Shirvell?s undisguised hatred for members of the LGBT community has compromised his ability to serve as a public official. Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox shouldn?t be comfortable employing someone who?s bigotry so clearly has the potential to influence the work he does on behalf of Michigan taxpayers. Cox must take decisive action to respond to Shirvell?s hate speech ? and his pro forma slap on the wrist this week isn?t going to cut it.

Shortly after the MSA election in March, Shirvell launched a campaign against Armstrong. Shirvell started his blog, ?Chris Armstrong Watch,? in late April. The blog has railed against what Shirvell calls Armstrong?s ?radical homosexual agenda,? as he put it in his initial Aug. 29 post. The first blog post also contained a photo of Armstrong with ?Resign? written over his face and a rainbow flag with a swastika in the middle of it next to him. Subsequent posts have labeled Armstrong a liar, an elitist, a racist, a pervert and a ?viciously militant homosexual activist.? Over time, the attacks have expanded to include several MSA members who work closely with Armstrong. Recently, Shirvell has taken to showing up at events at which Armstrong is present.

Though much of Shirvell?s tirades are one step from utter nonsense, his disdain for the LGBT community is obvious. Shirvell criticizes the LGBT community?s push for social equality in blanket statements that are plainly offensive to everyone. Though offensive, however, Shirvell?s hateful remarks aren?t a threat to campus. The University community recognizes Shirvell?s attacks as what they really are: the rants of a bigot.

Attorney General Mike Cox has not reacted appropriately to this reality. As reported on Tuesday, the attorney general?s office confirmed to the Daily that the office was aware of Shirvell?s blog. Yesterday, the Detroit Free Press reported that Cox had ?chastised? Shirvell for the statements made on the blog. According to a statement from Cox, Shirvell is entitled to ?a right to free speech outside working hours ? But Mr. Shirvell?s immaturity and lack of judgment outside the office are clear.?

Shirvell?s increasingly extreme actions of discrimination aren?t the result of a lapse in judgment. His behavior does not stem from immaturity. It stems from hatred. And this type of hatred makes Shirvell unsuitable to remain a government official. It will affect his ability to objectively interpret laws ? which is the job of the attorney general?s office. It?s unacceptable that Cox hasn?t dismissed a member of his staff who is so blatantly bigoted. A finger-wagging won?t change the fact that Cox has a responsibility to employ a thoughtful staff that will fairly carry out their jobs on behalf of the citizens of this state. Shirvell doesn?t fit this mold.

Cox shouldn?t tolerate such offensive behavior from someone who is required to fairly defend the law. A scolding isn?t an acceptable response to the hatred that continues to be published on Shirvell?s blog. Cox must take serious action. He should remove Shirvell from his position in the attorney general?s office.

Shirvell has taken an indefinite leave of absence (note he has not been fired). Firing him may be difficult since he is a civil service employee and the firing process is very involved.

Shirvell was also Cox's campaign manager when he ran for Attorney General (explains how he (Shirvell) got the job).

Shirvell has taken an indefinite leave of absence (note he has not been fired). Firing him may be difficult since he is a civil service employee and the firing process is very involved.

Shirvell was also Cox's campaign manager when he ran for Attorney General (explains how he (Shirvell) got the job).

Me thinks his days in mainstream politics might be over.

Good.

C

The one and only good thing about this Shirvell guy, is that he is a living(?) reminder to us all of what the current Morlocks are up to in their largely successful takeover of the right wing.

Morlocks? You mean this guy:

morlock-03.jpg

Nice hair, but that's a face only a politician could love.

Morlocks? You mean this guy:

morlock-03.jpg

Nice hair, but that's a face only a politician could love.

Should've known The Pecman would have recognised the Morlock reference. Nice catch! :wav:

This Shirvell a-hole has now taken a voluntary leave of absence, and the student body president has been interviewed by CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/07/michigan....dex.html?hpt=C1

Chris Armstrong, the Michigan State student body president, seems very straightforward (you should pardon the expression) and articulate in his own defense.

This Shirvell a-hole has now taken a voluntary leave of absence, and the student body president has been interviewed by CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/07/michigan....dex.html?hpt=C1

Chris Armstrong, the Michigan State student body president, seems very straightforward (you should pardon the expression) and articulate in his own defense.

Chris Armstrong hardly comes across as a radical activist as Shirvell claims. On the other hand Shirvell certainly appears to me to be a bigot. I think his days are numbered as an assistant AG, but unfortunately he will probably go rabid against the gay community for quite some time.

Chris Armstrong hardly comes across as a radical activist as Shirvell claims. On the other hand Shirvell certainly appears to me to be a bigot. I think his days are numbered as an assistant AG, but unfortunately he will probably go rabid against the gay community for quite some time.

I actually think it helps when these foaming-at-the-mouth rabid hatemongers spew their venom. It allows everyone to see their animus and lack of balance, and stains their cause accordingly.

C