Love on the Rocks

vwl

Here is another author, and story... neither of Nifty or AD, but very worthwhile... http://sionliscannor...r-way-of-being/ .

That's a helluva opening chapter for "Another Way of Being." I'll definitely check that out -- always a pleasure to read something this professional on the web.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The final chapter of Marcus McNally's wonderful story is being posted. The directory is http://www.nifty.org...e-on-the-rocks/

His final email note to his readers is:

G’day!

Sorry! Really, I’m sorry. I know it’s been a wait …

Here we are – you and me – faced with the final chapter of ‘Love on The Rocks’. I’m going to miss this cast of characters, and I know many of you will too.

Ty and Mike, Lachie and Ellie, Scott and Simon, Dot and Frank, Steve and Fran, George, Vince, Monique, Scruffy and Floppy … they’ve been a part of my life for more than a year and a half. Amazingly for me, they’ve somehow found their way into your lives, too.

You’re reading this because at some point, you wrote to me about ‘LOTR’. It might have been one email, or it might have been an email after every chapter was posted – either way, you’ve made me aware you’re out there reading, and your feedback has encouraged and helped me more than you possibly know.

I’ve told some of you that when I first started ‘LOTR’, I really had no idea if my “little Aussie love story” would ever be read. There was that nagging doubt that it might be too much of a romance for the ‘Nifty’ audience that, it turns out, I so grossly underestimated. But find an audience, it did!

I’m taking this opportunity to let you know that your concern for and appreciation of the characters I somehow brought to life, means more to me than I can express in a few words.

I have marvelled at the wonderful, kind things so many of you have written, and I’m equally grateful to those who’ve taken the time to challenge and criticise my work.

What a learning curve this has been.

Let me take this moment to say to you all … thank you, thank you. Funny to think that when I started writing ‘LOTR’, I expected it would probably run about five chapters. You have all helped me push my own boundaries to somehow keep it interesting for 40 chapters.

I know me. When I’ve had a break I’ll want to write an epilogue, a “five years on” in the lives of the Hills and the hot lawyer.

That’s the plan – let’s see!

In the meantime, happiness and good health to all of you, always.

Marc

I got the same email but for some reason Nifty didn’t provide a link to it for ages, so to make the wait less agonizing I went back and actually read the whole story from the start, knowing I would be able to read the final chapter in context. It took a lot of yesterday and most of this morning but I did it. I can only say again, ‘Love on the Rocks’ is without doubt the finest story I’ve ever read online. Even though I knew what was coming in the re-read, I cried in the same spots again and laughed out loud many times. Marc Mcnally has an amazing way of making his characters so familiar that the reader feels like part of the family. I miss this story already and can only hope that he will write an epilogue … don’t think I’ll be able to rest until I know whether it’s twins again for Lachie and Ellie!

Considering my misgivings about the heavy sexual content in the first chapters, I have to agree that this turned out to be one of the best stories I've read in a while, too.

The characters have become almost like family and the author's idea of picking them up five years on for a sequel makes sense. It allows for a lot more freedom for the author to take the story in a new direction by letting some water run under the bridge.

I have to give the story, overall, a definite thunbs up! :icon_thumright:

Mike

In reading the whole story through again, one thing that really struck me is how cleverly the character 'George' is written (he's the housekeeper). He's much more of a central character than I originally realised and it's the drollness of many of his one-liners that actually provides a lot of the humour in the story. I’ve always enjoyed hearing hit versions of the songs that Tyson Hill sings by following the links at the end of the chapters, none more so than the final chapter. “Lawyers In Love” and “Jackie” were new to me, but both of them mighty songs.

• 3 months later...