Windows 8 release preview

Camy

I just want an operating system that does things the way I want, instead of forcing me to do things the way it wants. None of my recent experiences with Microsoft or Adobe have improved that opinion; they've just made it more so. We'll see if my latest backups go OK. I'm not eager to move to Win8 yet. I will when I have to. -- This is a major change from someone who used to upgrade programs when he could. I don't think I'm just getting cranky, either. So there!

In another year or so, when I next have to get another computer, I will probably get a Macintosh and migrate, for the first time since the late-late 1990's. That's how aggravating I've found Windows and big-name programs lately. It has been that long since I've used a Mac regularly, and that was before the MacOS became based on Unix underneath. I'll have an adjustment period, but I still remember how to do most things. (I had an Apple IIe in late high school and started using a Mac way back with the Mac Plus, so it's no stranger. Mac computers were the basis of my professional working life through the end of the 1990's.)

Oh, I still use Win7 and some Microsoft products, but I use competitors' products now whenever possible. I'm still trying to find ones I like that do what I need, but I've found good (and cheaper) alternatives for a few. I'm anticipating using my current computers until they wear out, too. Rich, I ain't.

This autumn Windows 8 will be launched. If anyone wants to have a play with it before its official release you can get it here:

http://windows.micro...dows-8/download

32 bit 2.5Gb

64bit 3.3Gb

It is probably best to download the ISO, install it in its own partition and dual boot. Apparently, instructions are supplied. Have fun!

Consider all the above lies. I was deranged; on a whirling eyed jag and obviously had had too much coffee.

Why Microsoft can't be more... user friendly, I have no idea.

If you download Ubuntu Netbook it creates its own partition, installs, and Bob's your Uncle - the next time you start up you are offered an option as to what you'd like to boot into. Windows 8 doesn't do this. Windows 8 wants to erase everything in sight and take over your life. You can, with a lot of faffing about and swearing, get it to dual boot... but I really can't be effing well bothered. I don't want to barcode my underpants, anyway. :angry:

You don't want to barcode your underpants? Why I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you!

Um, no, I don't wanna barcode my shorts either. If anybody's name and number's gonna be in them, I'd better be able to read them.

Faffing about? I think I almost understood that. Though the explanation could be entertaining.

Sorry you had a bad date with Win8, Camy. :hugs:

In another year or so, when I next have to get another computer, I will probably get a Macintosh and migrate, for the first time since the late-late 1990's.

There's hope for you yet, Ben!