More from The Guardian on English-to-English

Several weeks ago, I posted about a new blog Britain's Guardian is publishing that examines the differences between the way Americans and Britons speak and think. Lately, they have blogged about what Americans should do when visiting London (stay south of the river and not north because the only people you meet up there are gits), the differences in American and British fashion, and the useless word "Quite." The blog is prepared by staffers in both the London and New York bureaus (the Guardian now publishes an American edition- Praise the Lord), but I think most of them are women--or queer-- because of the emphasis on fashion, (Oh dear. Am I stereotyping?). Be sure to scroll because they leave a lot of white space (or blue) between each post and you might think you're at the end when there is lots more.

http://english2english.tumblr.com/?utm_source=TheGuardian&utm_medium=banner&utm_term=Eng2Eng&utm_campaign=RR+front+promo

More on "manpris". I've stopped laughing long enough to offer this further observation: Back when the earth was young we called trousers like those "high waters", and they usually were seen worn by small town youth who had outgrown last year's jeans (then known as 'dungarees') whose parents couldn't afford timely size upgrades for lanky kids. After WWII many returning soldiers donning their pre-war civilian clothing also showed a lot of ankle, since so many veterans were late teenagers when they were mobilized and so were still growing through their service years. The postwar period saw many of these young men continuing to wear their service uniform trousers until they could remedy their wardrobes. I believe the universal popularity of khaki trousers and 'pinks' stems from that era. High waters were never viewed as fashionable or desired.