Manipulation by design

Camy

Did you know that many fast food chains design their chairs specifically to cut off blood circulation and be uncomfortable after about 15 minutes? Fast food means fast turnover. They want you out the door. When your bum goes numb. It's not a coincidence.

I've just stumbled on a short, but fascinating, article by John O'Nolan on elements of product design - that you probably won't think were by design.

http://john.onolan.org/invisible-design-how-does-your-car-sound/

Design is a whole industry most of us do not understand. Fifty years ago you could climb in your car, settle behind the wheel and feel the space around you, now we feel more like an astronaut sitting in a space capsule.

Of course the lap belt around your waist was a hindrance, but then safety laws came up with the shoulder straps. No matter how safe, they won't tell you that in an accident the belt is likely to cause broken ribs...and all that before the airbag slams you in the face and shatters your glasses.

Some designers are not familiar with the human body and most of those people work for the airlines. Sardines in a can seating on aircraft has nothing to do with comfort just profit. The design of moving people in some form of transport seems to be a failed industry. I guess I will just stay home.

I've just stumbled on a short, but fascinating, article...

Most emus just stand around, disconsolately scratching at the turf for grubs. Not Camy. He stumbles about the internet and finds Great Stuff to share with us. Thanks, large flightless bird!

I mentioned this to my brother Chris, and his response was: "Most of the people who use those seats have butts that are so fat they wouldn't know their blood circulation had been cut off."

Colin :icon_geek:

Most emus just stand around, disconsolately scratching at the turf for grubs. Not Camy. He stumbles about the internet and finds Great Stuff to share with us. Thanks, large flightless bird!

Camy may be flightless, but his spirit soars across the cosmos with songs of love.