At first I was not sure where to put this, as at first I wanted to defend something I said in another post in News & Views, but then really got into the material of this post. This example, I am sure, is an exception to the rule... and, what an exception he is! Alec J. Fischer, close to my contemporary, hosts a webshow called Alec In Wilderland. Alec is a boy after my own heart, not only because he is quite beautiful, but he invests himself into a creation that not only entertains, but is very informative.

Alec In Wilderland is not a million dollar production on the Discovery Channel, or supported by PBS NET supporters like the Ford Foundation, Knight Foundation, or The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Nope, this series of almost thirteen episodes costs less than $10k per episode, and is produced by Alec and family for web content.

Alec In Wilderland, available on YouTube, takes Alec, the "average" kid, out of his bedroom in front of his xbox into the fresh air, all over the USA and literally all over the world. He explores in a way only boys can. You can check him out at http://www.alecinwilderland.com/ or http://www.youtube.com/user/Collabovies/videos

This boy just inspires the imagination!

I discovered Alec last year when a reader of mine suggested his videos. They are very interesting and inspirational for kids his age. Very professionally done for so low-budget an operation. i do recommend them.

Doh, they definitely need to spend some money and hire a sound guy to do better dialogue. Wind noise is killin' them.

I don't disagree that the kid has an engaging personality, and with more money spent on production, the show could be reasonably good.

Doh, they definitely need to spend some money and hire a sound guy to do better dialogue. Wind noise is killin' them.

I don't disagree that the kid has an engaging personality, and with more money spent on production, the show could be reasonably good.

Pecman... That is "Duh". The whole point is it is not a professional production. This is a series made by kids. As for "reasonably good", I think you have been in Hollyweird too long. :spank:

Pecman... That is "Duh". The whole point is it is not a professional production. This is a series made by kids. As for "reasonably good", I think you have been in Hollyweird too long.

I saw the editing: they're trying very hard to be fast-paced and look professional, and inviting money. I've worked on productions for free and given them excellent sound for zero money. All you have to do is try hard and know what you're doing. One Google search will give you the basic instructions on how to get good sound on location, though nothing will solve the problem better than just to get a better location.

Their pictures and editing look fine. This is not the first time I've seen a decent idea undermined by mediocre audio, and it's a pet peeve of mine. It's kind of like a guy who writes a brilliant story, but does it in a 4-point cursive font.