Hiroshima Day, August 6th,

We should not forget that the atomic bombs dropped on Japan would in this day and age be considered mere firecrackers compared to modern nuclear weapons. The reaction of horror following the bombing set the tone for many decades and became ingrained in our political thought.

So many end of the world scenarios were spun out and each of them ended in a large mushroom cloud. That was never more evident than in the Russian/American confrontation over placing missiles in Cuba during the Kennedy years. By that point Americans believed that the Soviets were irresponsible war mongers, and yet they backed away from the confrontation. No nation since then has come close to crossing the line by threatening to use nuclear weapons.

The remembrance of nuclear destruction and death now belongs to Japanese history. It is important that they share this Hiroshima Day with the rest of the world so that it remains clear in the minds of humanity just how easy it is to obliterate tens of thousands of people in the blink of an eye. It is far too easy to forget things we don't want to remember, but Hiroshima must be shared with every generation.

So stop for a moment of silence today for the 80,000 people who perished in a small Japanese city 70 years ago.

In the UK, on the CBBC channel there is a Newsround Special on Hiroshima today at 1730. The events are shown as a cartoon, which if you think of the target audience - makes sense to me.

I've set my PVR to grab it as childrens programming on the BBC has a reputation for good dealing on sensitive issue for children and my curiosity is piqued. Ought to be available on the iPlayer so those of you with suitable UK proxies ought to be able to watch.

Added at 1755. In my opinion, a good non-judgemental telling of the facts. Opinionated folk may complain, but if I was a teacher, I think I would screen it to the kids.

Unless you study the Pacific War in depth and Japanese culture, there are several key points that you'll miss.

• Japanese culture at the time was very militaristic.
  • Japan's warrior ethic of fighting to the death was deeply ingrained in their culture.
  • Japan had never lost a war.
  • Kublai Khan sent two invasion fleets to invade Japan and they were both destroyed by typhoons (the Divine Wind).
  • The Japanese were taught that as long as they didn't quit, they would find a way to win.

Japan was not quitting. They were doing what they always did. They were stockpiling suicide weapons that they would release when the invasion began. They had human guided cruise missiles, human guided torpedoes, suicide fast boats and dozens of other nasty surprises that they were prepared to uncork. They had tons of these weapons dispersed and ready to go.

OHKA-SUICIDE-ROCKET_zpsnal5oxqv.jpg

The Okha human guided missile.

kaiten_zpstfirjnc7.jpg

The Kaiten human guided torpedo.

SHINYO-Suicide-boat_zpsiwr1gkwr.jpg

Shinyo fast boats loaded with TNT

1945 for the Allies

With Germany out of the war, Japan became the focus. The UK was able to shift significant naval power to the Pacific and the Japanese Navy had been all but exterminated. The Allies were in the end game.

Two operations were planned in preparation of the invasion of Japan. In February Operation Detachment kicked off- the invasion of Iwo Jima.

In April Operation Iceburg was uncorked- the invasion of Okinawa.

Both were huge operations involving thousands of ships and a logistics tail that crossed the expanse of the Pacific.

IwoJimaMap_zpshzraw8px.jpg

The military and civilian leadership were horrified at what it took to take those two islands. It wasn't just the brutal fighting. It was the Japanese fighting to the last man and many civilians committing suicide rather than allowing themselves to be captured. It made Operation Downfall- the invasion of the home islands of Japan look like a potential bloodbath. It wasn't just the ground troops. The Navy took serious losses to suicide attacks based in Japan. Many ships were sunk, thousands of sailors killed and wounded and many ships were so badly damaged they were scrapped.

franklin-fire_zpsbjiniy78.jpg

USS Franklin set ablaze by a kamikaze attack near Okinawa.

The decision to use the atomic bomb to end the war was not taken lightly. The Allies were war weary. The idea of a giant Iwo Jima/Okinawa style bloodbath was not at all appealing. In the end it was the right thing to do.

Can anyone remember reading a well researched and well written novel based on the premise that the Manhattan Project fails? The Trinity test goes off as a damp squib and Truman is left with no option but to proceed with invasion of Japan - which is as ghastly and gruesome as everyone feared. My brain thinks it might have been written by James Clavell but I can't see it amongst his works. Sticks in my mind because of the interesting section on the Japanese plans to use gas warfare including nerve gas.

Perhaps I just have a soft spot for the well writen alternative history - IMO the best being Robert Harris' quite excellent "Fatherland" with an honourable mention for Len Deighton's "SS-GB."

• 1 month later...

Keeping in mind the adage, "After the first death, there is no other," I have a slightly different view of the Hiroshia/Nagasaki bombings.

I'm a descendant of a guy who was an F4-U Corsair pilot. His ship, USS Guadalcanal, was crusing towards Japan to participate in the invasion. As he explained it to us, when the Japanese heard he was coming, they surrendered. Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but there's a great likelihood he would not have survived the attack, so to me it's all very personal.

I'm sorry for those who died. I'm thankful for one in particular who did not.