The village where girls become boys at puberty

Graeme

I'm with Graeme - there must be a story in there.

Fascinating account. The 'girls' felt like boys all along and their bodies caught up with their minds at puberty.

There's clearly loads left to learn about sex, including stuff we don't yet know about the role of hormones in the womb. One theory has it that the more older brothers you have, the more likely you are to turn out gay - and that this might be linked to a surfeit of testosterone in the womb after the previous pregnancies. It's not a useful theory for me because I was a firstborn...

What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how
infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and
admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like
a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals...

--Hamlet, II,2

What an opportunity for research into sex role development. Or for posing the question of whether men who have started out "feminine" in this fashion have more of the so-called feminine traits such as empathy?

And what an opportunity for stories! For example, what becomes of the girl into boy person who wants to remain feminine? What about the tween who starts out gay one way then becomes gay/straight (?) the other?

And what a rich source of confirmation for those who are convinced there are aliens living secretly among us...