Major Tech Leaders Pen Brutal Condemnation of Donald Trump

There's an article here on Huffington Post that should be read by anyone interested in the upcoming U.S. Presidential election. Since I'm in the high-tech industry (on a much lower rung) I found what these 145 tech leaders wrote and signed is spot-on.

Colin :icon_geek:

I'm intrigued by any number of things about this letter. First and foremost is the large number of industry notables who have signed on. It's almost impossible to believe that one man could unite such a large and diverse crowd. I guess Donald Trump really has it!

And the individuals include some shockers. I had no idea, for example, that the Rev. Jesse Jackson was a technology world icon. I'll have to check his code line someday.

But it goes downhill from there. In the signatories' initial statement, that claim to believe in an inclusive country fostering creativity and a level playing field. Could they start that by examining their own list of signatures? There are 145 name of which 132 are males. That's 9% females among the elite. That's inclusivity? Not by many standards I've seen. Or is it that 91% of the females disagree with their stance. They should explain this better.

It gets worse from there. They want to welcome foreign entrepreneurs who can help build America. Fine. What about life in their own countries? Is Silicon Valley a giant poaching machine looking to siphon off foreign creativity and market it where we they can profit?

Most importantly, where do this folks really stand on international refugees? How many of them have volunteered for a month at one of the border reception stations? Or opened their often-palatial homes to refugee families? Or done anything more than sign a letter to help an uneducated, unemployed, non-English speaking refugee a real chance.

Words are cheap.

I'm intrigued by any number of things about this letter. First and foremost is the large number of industry notables who have signed on. It's almost impossible to believe that one man could unite such a large and diverse crowd. I guess Donald Trump really has it!

And the individuals include some shockers. I had no idea, for example, that the Rev. Jesse Jackson was a technology world icon. I'll have to check his code line someday.

But it goes downhill from there. In the signatories' initial statement, that claim to believe in an inclusive country fostering creativity and a level playing field. Could they start that by examining their own list of signatures? There are 145 name of which 132 are males. That's 9% females among the elite. That's inclusivity? Not by many standards I've seen. Or is it that 91% of the females disagree with their stance. They should explain this better.

It gets worse from there. They want to welcome foreign entrepreneurs who can help build America. Fine. What about life in their own countries? Is Silicon Valley a giant poaching machine looking to siphon off foreign creativity and market it where we they can profit?

Most importantly, where do this folks really stand on international refugees? How many of them have volunteered for a month at one of the border reception stations? Or opened their often-palatial homes to refugee families? Or done anything more than sign a letter to help an uneducated, unemployed, non-English speaking refugee a real chance.

Words are cheap.

I assume you're being serious. Somehow, your arguments seem fraudalent to me.

Women don't pursue tech degrees and jobs nearly in the numbers that males do. Women also don't start companies in the numbers than males do. Many factors play a role in this, but the facts are the facts, the numbers are the numbers. Men tend to take those jobs, but don't do it by pushing out women. The best candidates get the jobs, and the best employees rise to the top. So if men hold those positions, and sign off on a letter disparaging Trump, they should be castigated for that? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

And of course they welcome foreigners if they have the skills they need. It's the same here as with the women. Women get ahead in the tech industry, too, if they have the skill and drive to do so. Those who do thrive. The fact we welcome foreigners and give them opportunities to go where their abilities will take them is one of the strengths of our society. Often these folks cannot do as well at home. So who's to be criticized for this? It makes more sense to me to laud this country for giving these people the chance to show what they can do.

Where do these people stand on letting foreigners work here? I don't see how tech companies can be criticized on the one hand for taking these people in and giving them opportunities, and for not insisting they stay home in their native lands. We celebrate freedom here. And opportunity. And creativity. And making what we can of ourselves.

Do you really want these people wasting their valuable time and skills welcoming people at the border, or is it better if they stay with their companies, creating jobs and products that help the masses? What a waste it would be if they'd spent their time handing out bottles of water and blankets.

I like what they wrote and signed. They stated their views, and in my mind did so eloquently.

C

I like what they wrote and signed. They stated their views, and in my mind did so eloquently.

:icon_thumright:

Colin :icon_geek: