Help from a good writer is needed, or maybe a good editor

Trab

As some of you may already know, from reading some of my earlier posts, I have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism. Although not massively handicapping for me, since I have managed to develope some good coping strategies over the years, there are many who have not been quite so lucky. Many kids, teens and those in their twenties suffer from both their 'challenges' and societal discrimination due to behavior problems. When we try to explain the extent, range and depth of the different aspects of A/S to the 'average Joe' it turns into a marathon exercise. We cannot express ourselves well verbally, and in the written format we seem incapable of reducing the information to anything less that about 2.5 pages of material.

What I am looking for is someone who can take submissions from me, and some other aspies (as people with A/S often call ourselves) to write a small piece that would effectively describe much of Asperger's on the front and back of a business card, or, in a pinch, on one of those fancy cards that has one fold (twice the business card size).

One of the aspects of A/S is a tendency (read "NEED") to be exact, and this pretty much precludes any one of us aspies from writing this condensed description. We've tried, and failed. We need a 'professional'.

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll agree to look over the drafts and make some suggestions, though I'm too swamped to do a line-by-line edit. Talk to me in email at thepecman@yahoo.com.

Always glad to help. I have a close friend who has all the symptoms of A.S., but won't go see a doctor to get it checked out. He's now refusing to go out in public places, and my partner and I have to go by and bring the guy groceries every week or two. Very strange (and sad) case, but unfortunately, you can only help people who want to be helped.

One of the ironies of AS is that often we DO want to be helped, but just cannot overcome things without that help we cannot ask for. Many people can be helped just by letting them or encouraging them to talk online.

I really appreciate all the offers, and at this point I have sent Graeme all sorts of information. Should he run into trouble (with this) and not be able to come up with anything that fits the size limits, I'll be only too happy to contact all the others who have offered help.

Thank you all.

Bart

Trab,

I think it would be worthwhile taking a couple of extra people up on their offers. Not only does it give you the advantage of multiple opinions, but it also gives you options to consider. I will certainly not be offended if you end up picking someone else's summary, as it is the end goal that is important, not who does the work.

Graeme

I'll agree with Graeme and speak a bit from personal experience -- having multiple opinions on a piece or multiple people working on it (or both) can help out a lot. You'll find that one person picks up on something that another misses, and assuming someone can integrate everything together you'll end up with better and stronger work, which is a good thing.