Trek or Treat by Altimexis

Rutabaga

Entertaining story and nice to have a new location.  Though it has been years since I lived in Manhattan the geography seemed authentic.

I also discovered that my Trek knowledge is incomplete, at least as concerns the very latest reboots and re-imaginations.  I was in high school when the original series came out on NBC, and to me that's still the standard by which to judge newer versions.  Somewhere I still have the spiral note pad that Gene Roddenberry autographed when he came to speak to the English majors at my college.

One comment -- I was instructed that the phrase "is comprised of" is incorrect.  As I was taught, you can say "these four buildings comprise the complex" but you should say "the complex is composed of four buildings."  /miss_thistlebottom

Thanks for sharing this.

R

Interesting… I wasn't aware of that. From now on I'll make an effort to avoid sentences comprised of incorrect words. Only the best words will compose my sentences.

23 hours ago, Rutabaga said:

Though it has been years since I lived in Manhattan the geography seemed authentic.

I also discovered that my Trek knowledge is incomplete, at least as concerns the very latest reboots and re-imaginations.  I was in high school when the original series came out on NBC, and to me that's still the standard by which to judge newer versions.  Somewhere I still have the spiral note pad that Gene Roddenberry autographed when he came to speak to the English majors at my college.

You wouldn't believe how rapidly things are changing in Manhattan. It's a little hard to tell from the panorama shot I used at the head of the story, but the dominant building in the foreground is a new 80-story condo going up on the site of the old ParhMark grocery, which was destroyed by Sandy. It's not exactly a spot I would have envisioned for a luxury building either. Although it borders the FDR and East River, It's basically surrounded by housing projects. Such is the value of the land in Manhattan. There are three more apartment buildings planned along the river, with significant neighborhood opposition as you might imagine. Battery Park is highly built-up with luxury apartments, in spite of being in the worst flood plane in the city. There are so many young couples living there that you have to watch for women on their smart phones with baby strollers, crossing the street. It used to be a daily hazard I encountered on my way to the Holland Tunnel. 

The original Star Trek aired when I was in fifth through seventh grades. It was truly groundbreaking but it was done on such a low budget that the mechanical doors on the turbo lifts were operated by hand, quite literally. There is at least one instance where a stagehand's hand is visible in the final take. The planets they visited all looked about the same, with only the background changing, and there were never clouds in the sky. The bridge of the Enterprise was so low-tech that it didn't even match the sophistication of most automobiles of the era, which were already pretty low-tech. Of course where the series really shone, and occasionally crashed and burned, was with the plot. Some of the most memorable episodes, both good and bad, were from the original series. The Alternative Factor, for example, has to be just about the worst episode ever done in any series of all time. The Next Generation was undoubtedly the most polished of the series. Jean Luc Piccard was what I picture a starship captain would be, and the bridge of the Enterprise looked like I'd expect a 23rd-century bridge to look. Voyager took the cake for special effects - dozens of Borg cubes in one scene - nothing could beat that. Time will tell with the new series.

I have an autographed photo of Brent Spiner as Data, but an autograph of Gene Roddenberry himself - wow! 

On November 3, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Altimexis said:

From now on I'll make an effort to avoid sentences comprised of incorrect words.

Is any word actually an incorrect word? If it's incorrect, would it not then simply not be a word at all, but rather an attempt at a word? 

I believe you meant to say you will make an effort to avoid incorrect usage, however, I am fully convinced that you have always made that effort. ???