Kennel Owner Won't Sell Puppy to Lesbian

From Associated Press

March 31, 2006 11:14 AM EST

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - A Swedish court has imposed a 20,000 kronor ($2,600) fine on a woman kennel owner who refused to sell a puppy to a lesbian.

The kennel owner, who was not identified, had initially been willing to sell the woman a puppy but changed her mind when she found out the woman was living with a lesbian partner, according to Sweden's discrimination ombudsman, a government watchdog who filed the lawsuit.

The Nacka District Court outside Stockholm issued the ruling on Thursday, the ombudsman's office said.

"This is an important verdict," said Hans Ytterberg, who heads the ombudsman's office. "It is important that these incidents are tried in court."

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - A Swedish court has imposed a 20,000 kronor ($2,600) fine on a woman kennel owner who refused to sell a puppy to a lesbian.

"This is an important verdict," said Hans Ytterberg, who heads the ombudsman's office. "It is important that these incidents are tried in court."

That is SO stupid I can't stand it. A puppy? A lesbian? Damn.

I'm glad I'm not capable of the mental gymnastics required to make the leap from "lesbian" to "unsuitable to own a pet."

I can see refusing to sell a pet to someone on the grounds the seller believes the potential buyer to be unsuitable to care for an animal.

according to Sweden's discrimination ombudsman, a government watchdog

Pun irony at work, though it isn't satire, so I can't say it's biting satire.

(Edited to correct typo / misspelling. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Proofers who miss their own typos.)

To quote Bill Murray, on one of the sure signs the Apocalypse is near:

Dogs and cats, living together!

You know, I've never heard of a dog or cat who complained because their person was gay, lesbian, or otherwise. It seems they're often wiser than we humans. More people should pay attention.