Shocking

Trab

I only scanned the text but wanted to say that, in my opinion, shock therapy does work for many things...it just doesn't 'cure' homosexuality. It can, of course, reduce your wish to act on homosexual inclinations. I consider that an abuse of shock therapy and not the best advertisement for it as a treatment.

I worked in college with autistic kids at our behavior center and saw enough to believe that some pretty radical stuff is all that helps, definitely hardcore behavioral Skinner-type stuff. Shocks, restraints, food rewards, I've personally seen them all work on autistic kids. Sorry, but it's true. And, as that article points out, autistic kids can do a lot of damage to others and to themselves. These are not people able to live in the world. They can't work, socialize, date or even have friends, and they may routinely and regularly harm themselves or others.

I personally found autism to be terrifying, to be so disconnected from other humans strikes my friendly, social little heart as possibly the worst way to experience life. Other disorders are said to respond well to shock therapy, too. For a few decades, it fell out of favor but is now used commonly with particular problems.

Just because it sounds drastic isn't reason enough for me to dismiss the idea that shock therapy could allow someone to live a happier and more productive life. Some of the disorders people live with are pretty drastic, too, and if shock therapy helps, then that's great.

Just another perspective.

TR :lipssealed:

TR and Trab, I am asking you not to escalate this further.

TR, it may be your personal opinion, but your reply was insensitive and rude.

I personally found autism to be terrifying, to be so disconnected from other humans strikes my friendly, social little heart as possibly the worst way to experience life.

Do you realize at all how that comes across?

You should know better. You know Trab has Asperger's, which is related to Autism.

Do not disparage other people's physical or mental conditions. None of us can help being how we are made, and there is nothing wrong or lesser about it.

I am locking this thread and reporting it. I object strongly.