Vista update (SP1) released

Camy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7304830.stm

Microsoft has released a service update for all versions of its Windows Vista operating system.

The computer giant claims that the update improves the stability, security and performance of the software.

The update, or service pack, includes some fixes released before now and adds many new ones as well.

Microsoft has warned that the update could clash with some security software and other programs customers may have installed on their machine.

Those using Vista can download the update directly from Microsoft or wait for it to be automatically installed on their machine in mid-April.

On the Windows Vista blog, Nick White, Microsoft's product manager for the software, said those installing Service Pack One (SP1) may have to download and install some other "prerequisites" before the update can be applied.

Microsoft has warned that the update could clash with some security software and other programs customers may have installed on their machine.

And Microsoft has been working closely with the publishers of those programs and most have issued updates that make their software compatible with Vista SP1. Of course, it requires that the users either have automatic updates turned on for the anti-virus and anti-spyware and other programs, or at least check once in a while, so the programs they have installed will be updated.

BTW, Apple just went through the same kind of notification process for Leopard.

Colin :icon_twisted:

"Apple just went through the same kind of notification process for Leopard."

Huh? What? Notification of what?

I don't know what others do, but I have my Mac check for and get all the updates automatically. No muss, no fuss. Suddenly there will be a notice saying that this is an update, do I agree to install it. Yes, and off it goes. Only once in a while will I need to restart my computer for an update to take hold.

I don't know what others do, but I have my Mac check for and get all the updates automatically. No muss, no fuss. Suddenly there will be a notice saying that this is an update, do I agree to install it. Yes, and off it goes. Only once in a while will I need to restart my computer for an update to take hold.

Windows works the same way. In defence of both platforms 95% of the time this works seamlessly. It's the other 5% that is a bitch. Some updates cause a conflict and shit breaks. Both companies have had to pull released updates.

I never install updates until 30 days after they're released.

"Apple just went through the same kind of notification process for Leopard."

Huh? What? Notification of what?

From ZDNet Week in Review March 21, 2008:

Must-Read News Stories

Apple updates wreaking havoc

David Morgenstern: Discussion boards are overflowing with reports of SSH and printer problems that were apparently caused by a massive Apple security update. Fixes to patch the problems are in circulation.

READ FULL STORY

Colin :hehe:

The number one cause of failures on Apple's updates is users that continue to run other applications while the updater is running

It's very difficult to update a component of your OS while an application is using it. So, sometimes a componet will not properly update. Then you have part old-ware and part new-ware which results in failure which is why the "re-install updater" fix works so easily. Because it worked fine. It was operator error.

The updater package (which you should NEVER let run automatically on ANY computer -- Mac or PC) for Macs clearly marks with a grey arrow the ones that require reboot. Coincidentally these are the same ones that you shouldn't install while running a program.

Maybe that's why I haven't had an issue. When doing the updates, I manually shut down every program that I've been mucking about with. (God, but that's bad English)

In windows XP you can do a clean boot which stops all the non-essential services and start up apps.

Details at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Download the guided help program from this page and run it.

I had to do this recently just to be able to install my new Creative Soundblaster card.

It worked a treat and finally I was able to get everything working correctly.

There may be a Vista equivalent of a clean boot, but frankly I suspect I will wait for the next Windows OS. :wink: