AwesomeDude IRC Channel

Hey there! I want to tell you a little bit about IRC today. IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It is completely text-based chat, and requires a client like AIM or MSN to talk to other people. Unlike those two protocols, though, IRC is more like a collection of chat rooms and allows users to own "channels" or rooms where people can gather and chat amongst eachother.

I've set up a channel on my server located at irc.fukt.us #AD for the AwesomeDude Community to use.

First you'll need a client. If you use Windows, mIRC is a good choice for the beginner. After downloading, and installing, open it up and type you desired nickname into the Options dialog that pops up. Now, the email and full name fields are not what you think they are. Do not put your email or name here as anyone will be able to see it. Instead, use your nickname again for both. Click ok, and type in the white bar at the bottom of the status window:

/server irc.fukt.us -j #AD

Congratulations, you have just connected to the server and channel! Chat away...

For Linux users, if you are used to the command line, try irssi. If you want a GUI based package, try xchat.

Quick FAQ

Q. How do I change my nickname?

A. Type /nick newnickname

Q. What do the @ and other symbols by people's names mean?

A. ~ = channel owner, & = channel admin, @ = channel operator, + = voiced

Q. How do I mark myself as away (and then return again?

A. /away reason to mark yourself away, and then /away again, to unmark.

Q. What is a hostmask?

A. On irc, you are represented by your hostmask, which is nickname!ident@hiddenhost.isp.com. Normally, your ip would appear where hiddenhost is, but our server cloaks it for your protection. Type /whois yournick to see your own hostmask. The first line that appears is the hostmask that is shown to all other users.

Q. How do I stop receiving messages from an abusive user?

A. Report this user to a network administrator in #help, or use the /ignore hostmask command.

PM me if you have any questions.

Dude, please sticky, or global this thread!

I tried setting this up, but I must admit to complete lack of result, other than personal frustration. Although this may be a good system, to me the difficulties in getting started preclude it as an effective alternative to simple postings on a forum, or any of the 'regular' chat services, like YIM or AIM, or MSN.

ian and other AwesomeDude members --

OK, please understand, what ian has set up is NOT an official chat room for AwesomeDude. If AwesomeDude were to do that, we'd want to do that ourselves. People are welcome to use ian's chat room, but you must understand it is not run by AwesomeDude. We have chosen not to add a chat room, because of the extra cost and lack of interest, although this forum software could add a module or we could add a separate software.

I think everyone understands (including Ian) that the IRC chat room is not 'official' but on the other hand I appreciate Ian's initiative. We've talked about the chat thing at great length but concluded that things often get heated in chat rooms. Better to have an 'unofficial' one where people who are into chatting in real time CAN but still have it separate from AD so any unpleasantries would not reflect on AwesomeDude.com or AD Forums.

Anyway thanks, Ian... for your initiative and hope you find enough people with the tech expertise to populate it. I paid for an IRC client but still can't get the (*^** thing to work. Good luck luddites!

:wink:

Trab - IRC has been around long before AIM, MSN or YIM, so I must say that it's just as 'regular' as any of those. :P

blue - I don't recall ever stating it was the official IRC channel. Anyone who assumes so is silly.

dude - <3

I think everyone understands (including Ian) that the IRC chat room is not 'official' but on the other hand I appreciate Ian's initiative. We've talked about the chat thing at great length but concluded that things often get heated in chat rooms. Better to have an 'unofficial' one where people who are into chatting in real time CAN but still have it separate from AD so any unpleasantries would not reflect on AwesomeDude.com or AD Forums.

Anyway thanks, Ian... for your initiative and hope you find enough people with the tech expertise to populate it. I paid for an IRC client but still can't get the (*^** thing to work. Good luck luddites!

:wink:

I agree an unofficial chat is a good answer. Thanks Ian.

Should keep everyone happy. :wink:

• 1 month later...