Ritual At Daybreak

Merkin

Ritual At Daybreak

by Merkin

"Do you want a cigar?" The young officer spoke in fluent English.

"Do you even have a cigar?" Simon stood against the brick wall, his hands bound behind him.

"Oh, yes. We keep one in this little box, just for this occasion. It is seldom requested, so this one is maybe five years old."

"No cigar."

"Do you have any last words?"

"No, I have been shouting those for the past week."

"I admire your bravado, Englishman. A pity it did not serve you when you committed your act of insanity."

Simon shrugged.

"Do you have any regret?" The young officer looked searchingly at his prisoner.

Simon hesitated, then cleared his throat. "I regret I never learned your language. I would like to have read its poetry."

"You do not speak Farsi?" The young officer was astonished.

"No, not a word."

"But the crime for which you have been convicted..."

"I have been curious."

"It was blasphemy. You were found in the middle of the riot you caused, shouting curses against our culture."

"Actually I was asking directions to the market. I wanted to buy some bacon."

The young officer paused for a moment.

"Do you want a blindfold?"

Very telling of the times in which we live.

The humour is horrifying at the same time it is funny. Truly it is a parody and satire of ancient customs in modern times.

You have captured, intolerance, misunderstanding and naivet?, if not religious ignorances and cultural difference.

I fully expect that this will go viral on the net as a joke.

Or just maybe, someone will try to get the United Nations to intervene to save the poor Englishman.

Good work James. :icon_geek:

This shows what happens when we put cultures and ideologies and isms ahead of people and humanity. It shows blind faith taking the place of reason, the loss of humor in our societies, the horrors of strictly followng rules and thinking by doing that we're maintaining the social order.

There were news articles this week about stonings in the mid-East. While religion seems to be making a radical comeback around the world, barbarism may well be doing the same thing.

Great writing as usual, James. Your talent on display always gives us reason to think.

C