does anyone know what happened to firefox

E.J.

Guest Dabeagle

I had a similar problem when I had to replace my cable modem. It had to be authorized and because of that the first website I tried to load, msnbc, got screwed up somehow. It still doesn't work properly for that site. What you may want to do is let Chrome copy your shortcuts, etc and then uninstall Firefox completely. Afterward if you reinstall and allow Firefox to take the info back it may cure it. Or you can try using the free MozBackup tool to essentially do the same thing.

I haven't had any problems, but I also haven't installed the latest FireFox update, so that might account for it.

Hmm, not sure what the problem is here. I load Firefox on all sorts of machines running all sorts of OS variants and I don't have any trouble. There are a number of setting choices that could result in sites looking wrong, for instance my current notebook has an odd trackpad and it is easy to zoom the text by mistake. I assume the problem you have is something more fundamental; can you tell us what is it about the way Firefox is loading sites that is wrong? Maybe even a screenshot?

I've used Firefox for ages and the only trouble I've really had with it was after a Firefox update followed by difficulty with loading web-pages and regular Firefox crashes.

It took me a day or two to work it out and it was all down to the ATI graphics chip on the old Sony laptop. What I learned was that due to a lot of the very up to date features on Firefox its vital that you update your graphics drivers. The old Sony, unfortunately, couldn't be updated and is now redundant. Either that or I pay for the chip to be updated which is almost as much as a lower end brand new laptop.

My PC isn't old and has a very up to date ATI graphics card in it so the Firefox updates are no problem up to now.

You could try updating your graphics drivers and see if that works.

Best of luck...Rick

Or you could try Chrome or Opera until you can buy a new laptop.

Colin :hug:

As far as I know there's no issues like you describe being reported for any recent releases of firefox. I'm not having

difficulty, though I've been using Chrome more than firefox these days since it's faster.

A guess, from what you describe, is that possibly some piece of malware has changed your connection settings. Possibly to try

and route your connection through a proxy so they can spy on you / steal passwords / incite mayhem.

When you say that the sites won't load properly, do you mean they won't load at all? Or will they load but look wrong? Or

some other kind of issue maybe? That could be a malfunctioning plugin or extension in firefox.

First two things I would do would be to check the connection settings in the firefox preferences to make sure they haven't

been messed with, and disable extensions/plugins one by one to see if one of them is causing a problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling firefox may not fix the problem unless you completely wipe your profile too. If you do this though you

will lose all your bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.

nuking firefox and reinstalling did the trick. I did a backup of my bookmarks first, and restoring was simple.

this all started with the upgrade to 7.01, but obviously something else found it's way onto my computer.......maybe it's time to start paying for antivirus software

nuking firefox and reinstalling did the trick. I did a backup of my bookmarks first, and restoring was simple.

this all started with the upgrade to 7.01, but obviously something else found it's way onto my computer.......maybe it's time to start paying for antivirus software

Glad to hear you got it working.

Don't pay for anti-virus s/w though. Most of it infests your system so badly it might as well be called a virus, not anti-virus software. I'm assuming

you're running some version of windows? Pretty much the best option right now for anti-virus is to simply install the free, fully integrated, and surpisingly

good Microsoft Security Essentials A/V software.