Carmina Burana

I was languishing tonight after a ho-hum dinner, wondering what to do with my time. I loaded up my newest novel, but still had the block that I have been agonizing with over for the last 6 months.

"Screw it." I said to myself and loaded up UTube to listen to some music. Maybe it would put me in the right mind to write. Damn, I loaded a concert of Carmina Burana, and was mesmerized. This was amazing. It must have included over 500 people in the choir and orchestra

Here's it is.

Back in the 70s it was one of our failings to buy each and every new recording of Carmina Burana. I remember one time I went to work with a new version under my arm when my boss asked me what I had bought. So, I took the record out its bag and showed it to him. "Carl Orff," he read aloud, and then added, "I knew his brother, Piss, (Orff)."

The above video clearly shows a trumpeter and a drummer, both with whom I would like to orchestrate a night of beautiful music-making.

Seriously, the symphony orchestra is one of the greatest achievements of the human race, and Carmina Burana showcases the wonder in one of its most vibrant forms.

• 2 weeks later...