Indelicate Frivolities by Mihangel

Camy

Okay, Camy has pushed the issue into the forum. I was going to wait and see where this story is headed, but it seems Mihangel has already divulged his theme. I'm sorry, some of his moments of dialogue had me in hysterics. His other works have been far more serious tomes of knowledge, but now we know how to attach an odd covering to the male penis.

I can't think of another author's story in which I have read page after page of dialogue about codpieces and fig leaves with such amusement. The reader might think that Mihangel did extensive research on the subject...do you suppose? However he discovered the premise for solving the quandry in which he placed his characters it certainly was inventive. :smile:

I remember high school aged theater, and from what the story tells us these kids are quite serious about their presentations, but the humor most certainly provides these characters with more fun than I ever had. Looking forward to further installments.

“If we shadows have offended,

Think but this, and all is mended,

That you have but slumber'd here

While these visions did appear.”

One of my favorite lines from the play and speaks for all who have ever stood upon the stage.

Yes, Camy, I have read anything of Mihangel's that I didn't enjoy. He has a wonderfully sly way of engaging you with a metaphorical wink when he wants to tease. But his serious stories can tug the heartstrings too.

“If we shadows have offended,

Think but this, and all is mended,

That you have but slumber'd here

While these visions did appear.”

One of my favorite lines from the play and speaks for all who have ever stood upon the stage.

Yes Chris, one of my favourites also. Many people do not 'get' the ephemeral nature of a live stage production, that when it is over, like life it is ended...and if they blink, they perhaps miss the whole point of the experience because they overlook that all the world's a stage...

I am so glad to have read this series of stories. I think most Americans are fascinated by stories of life encountered by English school boys. We have such schools here but nothing with the dimension of the old schools in England that can trace their heritage back many centuries like the ones we have in this story.

Mihangel has left us standing in a room where the contemporaries of Shakespeare trod the floor, and with good reason. Since the fabled Bard is as much a part of this story as these modern characters we are made to understand that these school boys are exceptional creatures. Beyond the suggestive, the expressions of sexual delight are most welcome as they define the plot.

The final episode, Sweet William, took a lot of courage to write, since none other than the author could presume to speak in Shakespeare's voice just to give us a thrill. Well done, bravo, Mihangel. You may have a hard time topping this one!

My thanks for your kind words. These fripperies were penned for two reasons. First, because there's a limit to how long one can remain serious, they were intended as light relief; and second, they would take the reader into realms where few of our stories go. Chris is quite right - I knew with Sweet William in particular that I was sticking my neck out to the point of ultra-cheekiness. And if the Frivolities have worked on all these counts, then I'm over the moon.