Oh, the book is so f@cking stupid! I almost through the goddamned thing against the wall once King revealed who put the dome on the town, why it was there, and where it came from.

The whole thing is really just a version of Lord of the Flies, showing a disintegration of a town cut off from civilization and supplies (and air). I think the book is overlong by at least 50%, and the ending made the entire book out to be a stupid "Shaggy Dog" story, with almost a lame "O. Henry"-esque ending. To me, it was a very heavy-handed soap opera that just went on and on and on and on.

King has written really great books before, but this wasn't one of them. The Cell was worse. 11/22/63 was damned near brilliant, and I think that will make a pretty good movie (and was just bought by one of the networks).

But: of course, I'll still watch it. :annoyed[1]:

Yeah, King defended himself against the charges that he stole the idea from The Simpsons Movie (where Springfield is enclosed in a glass force field by the U.S. government), producing notes he had written on the story back in 1979-1980 -- a story about an apartment building encased in a mysterious force field. The idea has actually been around a long time, even going back to The Outer Limits in the early 1960s.

• 1 month later...

And just to update this: the producers have revealed that they have changed certain aspects of the plot from the book, including a new ending! I sure the F hope so, because the ending of the book is h-i-d-e-o-u-s. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The story has moments, but good god... 1074 pages for this? It's overlong by 50%, at least.

And bear in mind I'm a fan!

To be honest, although I got it from a charity shop for £1, I still haven't read the book. It looks ... daunting. Besides, you'd need some sort of mechanical help to read it in bed, it's so big.

Besides, you'd need some sort of mechanical help to read it in bed, it's so big.

I get that all the time.

Oh, you mean the book! :redface:

Get the eBook version. That's no heavier than an iPad or Kindle.