Rules We May Now Ignore

First let me apologize for the typo in the title of this posting. I was thinking of "we" and "may" and it came out as "Way" and I didn't proofread the title. Apparently, the board software doesn't provide for changing posting titles.

The Guardian Style Guide has now given us permission to loosen the rules of English Grammar. I don't agree with all of their suggestions, but this is interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/30/10-grammar-rules-you-can-forget

I'm not sure that quoting song lyrics as English in good form is the right way to approach this subject, but he did. Ah well, language fluctuates and if you managed to get the point across as you wished and a sentence flows as it is read what is the harm?

I have personally been relived that commas seem to be passé. As in the big, black block and a short, sharp shock, has been abandoned. I use my quota of commas as necessary when writing but they are hardly necessary in dialogue.

I think the argument over language will be ongoing since there are so many participants. The older generation who were taught to strict standards and the newer users who just seem grateful to be able to speak. :icon_thumleft:

I have personally been relived that commas seem to be passé. As in the big, black block and a short, sharp shock, has been abandoned. I use my quota of commas as necessary when writing but they are hardly necessary in dialogue.

I'm a big fan of commas and ellipses in dialogue, because to me, that's how people talk... especially with incomplete thoughts, or sentences uttered by people who are unsure of themselves and are struggling for the right words. (Though I'm thankful to my editors for occasionally knocking out a few of my extraneous commas when they weren't needed.)

To me, 90% of the rules for grammar and spelling are very simple and logical, even in English. It ain't rocket science.

Ah, it's that nasty 10% of the rules for grammar and spelling that the grammar Nazis love and that mess up the rest of us.

Colin :icon_geek:

I think Colin's point was what Stephen Fry was talking about in that video I posted a few months ago in which he said basically, "Language evolves. Get over it." :icon1:

Exactly! Also, never be foolish enough to argue with Stephen Fry.

Colin :icon_geek:

Good point. Some issues with grammar I think boil down to personal preference and experience. But I get very annoyed by people who throw around run-on sentences; even J.K. Rowling, who's made $1 billion+ writing, has done work afflicted by this problem in some of her later books. I think this happened because her editors were so cowed by her success, they just rolled their eyes and said, "eh, go with it. It'll still sell... nobody cares."

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I don't know... Let us go with "He and me went to the concert." I actually heard that said by a NBC newscaster of many years service. If it was on the "news" we should all just buckle under and accept it as fact, right? It sounds OK when the sugardoodle actresses use pronouns wrong, because they make lots of money... like J.K. Rowling.

I am sorry. I am not a lemming, and I will not follow the others over the cliff.