This Kid Can Rock

Check out 11-year-old Aidan Fisher at a live November 2013 concert for Steel Panther:

This kid can really rock. Those are perfect 1980s Van Halen riffs he's doing, particularly the ones about a minute into the clip. Very, very talented kid.

More in this Yahoo news story:

http://shine.yahoo.com/author-blog-posts/step-aside-eddie-van-halen-11-old-guitar-212300189.html

What I find amazing about these young child prodigies is their determination. What we are seeing is the result of hours of practice. At an age where most kids are playing video games I imagine Aidan foreswore those mindless hours to develop his skills. It can't be easy since his physical development hasn't given him the larger hands to make that stretch across the frets of his guitar. Future dynamite in the making, the kid is explosive.

Guest Dabeagle

*sigh* I feel the need to point this out. Video games are not 'mindless'. While they are newer, relatively speaking, they also provide increased eye-hand coordination, offer socialization through an alternative means and - believe it or not - certain functions, like managing large guilds and raiding scheduled show asset management, as well as human resources management that has actually been sought after by companies. There are just as menay kids who are good with a guitar sitting home Saturday night, drinking beer and getting stoned as there are gamers.

You lost me there Dabeagle-buddy. Relatively speaking the only hand-eye coordination an adolescent needs is snagging a tissue from the box during the climax of a daily orgasm. I grant you video gaming is the new thing shared by many youngsters, but most of them do it instead of their homework.

I doubt if many 11 year olds are drinking beer and getting stoned while practicing guitar. Perhaps the image of heavy metal rockers is that stoner look but it is only desecrating the music. Look at some of the footage of heroin addicted Jimmy Page attempting his guitar riffs and failing. So terribly sad.

No, I doubt of Aidan is under the influence of anything except his desire to be the best guitar player, and that takes dedication. His parents must be very patient people...can you imagine the noise coming from his bedroom?

He had me right up to the point where he said he wants to form a van halen tribute band.

That's just tragic...

He's just 11. Wait till he discovers Jimmy Hendrix, Alex Lifeson, Jeff Back or Jimmy Page.

Guest Dabeagle

You lost me there Dabeagle-buddy. Relatively speaking the only hand-eye coordination an adolescent needs is snagging a tissue from the box during the climax of a daily orgasm. I grant you video gaming is the new thing shared by many youngsters, but most of them do it instead of their homework.

I doubt if many 11 year olds are drinking beer and getting stoned while practicing guitar. Perhaps the image of heavy metal rockers is that stoner look but it is only desecrating the music. Look at some of the footage of heroin addicted Jimmy Page attempting his guitar riffs and failing. So terribly sad.

No, I doubt of Aidan is under the influence of anything except his desire to be the best guitar player, and that takes dedication. His parents must be very patient people...can you imagine the noise coming from his bedroom?

I wasn't implying anything about this particular kid, or at least wasn't trying to. My point was to the comment and sentiment - repeated above - about people's perceptions of video games and gamers. Gamers appear to be classed in the same category as 'stoners' - do nothings who spend all of their time uselessly online, wasting their time and brains. Comments akin to playing instead of doing their homework are so far ranging as to be meaningless - the child does things they are interested over things they don't, when not enforced by an adult. Someone who excels academically would probably do homework over playing guitar, and I'm sure this kid, given the chance, will pick up his axe versus his slide rule.

Gaming has come a long way since Atari and involves a whole lot more, while still managing to be fun, if done well. Contrary to popular belief by non-gamers, games frequently encourage socialization, co-operation, resource management and requires self control and focus. Not taking anything away from this kid, I appreciate people that can play as I can't, I was objecting to the notion dismissing video gaming.