Posting Delays

There will be a posting delay on the Codey's World site. I'm leaving at noon today (January 22) on a business trip to Perth, Australia. My flight (on Cathay Pacific) leaves at 11:55 a.m. and arrives in Perth at 6:30 a.m. on Friday January 24. There's an almost four hour delay and change of planes in Hong Kong. I'll be back on Friday January 31 at 10:05 a.m. Steve tells me to forget doing anything that weekend because of jet lag. I hope he's wrong! My flight to Perth will take about 24 hours, and my flight home will take almost 29 hours. Maybe Steve is right about jet lag!

The weather is going to be hot, but not as hot as I expected. After all, it's almost winter down there. Anyway, the temps are going to be in the high 80's to low 90's, and will drop to 80 degrees on January 30, the day I leave for home.

Colin :icon_geek:

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, my brain is back okay. It's just that while I was away tumbling tumbleweeds in the Outback a client decided to buy a new heavy-duty-cycle copier that can pretend it's a printer. But it doesn't pretend very well. So the print routines that send output to a real PC printer and it's all there, when they send output to the copier that pretends to be a PC printer the right edge, maybe 8 characters worth, is missing. They tell me this last night. I've been working trying to figure out how to get around the problem of the copier that pretends to be a PC printer and try a bunch of things and then, this evening, I figured out a way around the problem that doesn't f**k up the output when it's sent to a real PC printer but will probably print okay when it's sent to the POC copier. I have access to the POC copier, but for some reason the pieces of paper it generates never show up at my computer. Of course, the POC copier is in another state. And the staff all went home hours ago. So, when the guy at the client gets to work tomorrow morning I'll find out, for sure, if it works. And it does still validates as clean XHTML and CSS and Section 508 and WAI-AA and WCAG 2.0 compliant. Because it has to meet all of those Federal web accessibility requirements.

With all the free time I have, instead of sleeping, I've actually written about 2,100 more words fixing problems in chapter 8 so chapters 9 and 10 will still work. It's almost like trying to fix the print output for a POC copier. But it really isn't the same, and trying to get my brain out of the php and HTML MySQL and CSS and accessibility requirement world and make it start thinking about writing fiction. Hey, it's all part of sliding down the razorblade of life.

Chapter 8 will be posted on Saturday.

Colin :icon_geek:

Postings have resumed at Codey's World as of today, February 20, 2014 (Pacific Time Zone). Here's what you'll find:

A Time When It All Went Wrong ~ Chapter 8 of A Novel by Colin Kelly. They say everyone has a double, a doppelganger, someone who's their mirror image. What if you just met your double? What if you were a thirteen-year-old kid who's gay and you just met your double?

What are the Odds? ~ A Short Story by Grant-bentley. Matt learns a lot about his family after his father throws him out.

Desperate Doomed Horror ~ A Flash Fiction Story by Ayushi Mehrotra. A horror story that could have been a dream, or a hallucination... or maybe something else.

Featured stories are from our archive and we think you'll enjoy reading them again — or for the first time.
Featured: Dottage ~ A Poem by Camy.. This is about love and obsolescence and what it's like when we think about growing old.

Click here to read the hundreds of serial novels, short stories, flash fiction, and poems on the Codey's World site.