Misused Words

Guest Dabeagle

Can we extend this to misused words? Here are some examples I have noticed from stories (none of which were on AwesomeDude:

The context in which the words were used rendered even the correctly spelt words, incorrect. (Aussie rules apply).

since instead of sense
consarned instead of concerned
quite, quiet and quit, often confused
he's instead of his
devulge instead of divulge
excepting instead of accepting
'was sat' instead of was sitting.
she'd instead of shed
of, instead of, have
are instead of our
witch instead of which
do process instead of due process, or perhaps if it is cold they meant, dew process
are used instead of our
Guest Dabeagle

I'm with you, Des, until you had the 'she'd instead of shed'. Help me here, because 'she'd' is a contraction - replacing 'she had' or I suppose 'she did'. If I saw 'shed' I'd think of that little building out back where I keep the rakes.

But care is needed. Dabeagle's list is American, and in British English some rules are different (I can't speak for Aussie rules).

I'd agree with 10 of the 12. But in modern British English the example it gives, afterward he walked toward the coffee shop, is simply wrong. We say afterwards he walked towards the coffee shop.

And farther v further (BTW, there's another difference - vs in American, v in British). Very few people these days retain the distinction. Virtually always it's further, for both purposes. And wholly acceptable even in formal writing.

I'm with you, Des, until you had the 'she'd instead of shed'. Help me here, because 'she'd' is a contraction - replacing 'she had' or I suppose 'she did'. If I saw 'shed' I'd think of that little building out back where I keep the rakes.

Yes, I know, the she'd contraction, when the author was obviously referring to a building, really threw me when I read it. I read it several times before I added it to my list just to be sure it really was wrong.

And farther v further (BTW, there's another difference - vs in American, v in British).

My partner (the one with the law degree) often points out to me that in American law, when it's "Joe Smith vs. the Ford Motor Company," they do abbreviate vs. as "v" in the legal papers.