Brewer VETOES Anti Gay Hate Bill!

FreeThinker

Arizona Governor Jan Bewer has vetoed the Arizona bill that allows discrimination against GLBT people based on religious beliefs! She bowed to pressure from the business community. After the Kansas Senate killed a similar bill there, I hope Geogia, Oklahoma, and other states will rethink their hate bills, as well!

I wouldn't count of Oklahoma.

The sponsor of the Oklahoma bill has withdrawn it to be rewritten so as to avoid the "spectacle" (his word) that occured in Arizona.

I think the primary reason Brewer vetoed the bill in Arizona is because of pressure from the business community. Money speaks louder than Jesus to most Republicans, perhaps too in Oklahoma. It will be interesting to see how the Republicans here stand up to the business community. American Airlines is one of Oklahoma's largest employers, with a major data center and their primary maintenance base here. Google also has a significant presense here with two large facilities, Both were significant opponents to the bill in Arizona. Of course, Republicans are able to finesse their way around the whole "its easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven" thing so I'm sure they can rationalize it.

I think this has always been the key to the whole civil rights movement.

Apple Inc., whose CEO, Tim Cook, is arguably the most powerful gay man in all of business today, has quietly threatened to pull an enormous multi-billion-dollar manufacturing plant out of Arizona unless they change their state laws to be more tolerant of all beliefs, nationalities, races, and sexual orientations. Money does talk, big-time, especially with idiot politicians.

I'm glad she vetoed the bill. I have to travel there on business, and it would make me uncomfortable being there it that bill had become a law.

Colin :icon_geek: