Unbelieveable gall...

The lawyer is just doing the job he was paid to do. The thing is, the argument is specious. The boy learned to trust the man because he was a priest. So, if later, the boy is in a position to be abused, it's due to what happened earlier when the man was acting in his official priestly duties and gaining the boy's and the mother's trust. That argument doesn't hold water.

C

That is such utter bullshit. A priest is a priest 100% of the time, not just when he's performing priestly duties.

Colin :icon_geek:

I believe this is called a "novel argument" that nobody had thought of yet: claiming the priest was not a priest when he was off-duty. I don't think this is gonna hold up, but I understand why the lawyer is trying every trick in the book.

I gotta wonder why this young man (who apparently was as old as 20 during some of these get-togethers) kept putting up with the affair. At some point, you stop and say "not interested."

At some point, he did.

For those of us not abused as kids or teens, the mindset these kids develop is unimaginable. We always think, why not tell? Why not walk away? Why not whatever? Yet they don't, so quite obviously there is an awful lot of trauma to overcome, and almost none of them are able to do 'whatever'. It's part of what makes the crime so horrible. The guilt and shame last for decades in many cases.

C

Exactly. I think of the boy, a year or two back, who had been stolen off his bicycle by a pizza delivery man and who lived with him and was abused by him for years. The boy attended school and played with other kids in the neighborhood but never left his abductor, who had threatened to murder his parents if he ever ran away. It was only the abduction of another little boy by his "mentor" that finally galvanized the first boy into opening the door to the police. We can never truly appreciate the emotional trauma experienced by the young minds of victims like these.

At some point, he did.

For those of us not abused as kids or teens, the mindset these kids develop is unimaginable. We always think, why not tell? Why not walk away? Why not whatever? Yet they don't, so quite obviously there is an awful lot of trauma to overcome, and almost none of them are able to do 'whatever'. It's part of what makes the crime so horrible. The guilt and shame last for decades in many cases.

C

Yet it's not surprising that the guilt and shame lasts for decades. After all, it is the business of religion to instil fear, shame and guilt through its teachings via the priests.

For the young victim, there is little difference in blind faith in a religion, and faith in a priest, who leads a child into temptation. The child is coerced into misconstruing the faith of the religion with trust in its priests. Even in relatively older people; even those who have seen through the charade, that confusion of religious faith, and faith in the priest can render the victim in a state of discombobulation for a long time.

Exactly. I think of the boy, a year or two back, who had been stolen off his bicycle by a pizza delivery man and who lived with him and was abused by him for years. The boy attended school and played with other kids in the neighborhood but never left his abductor, who had threatened to murder his parents if he ever ran away. It was only the abduction of another little boy by his "mentor" that finally galvanized the first boy into opening the door to the police. We can never truly appreciate the emotional trauma experienced by the young minds of victims like these.

This sound similar to the story of Steven Stayner. I saw the TV mini-series many years ago -- very frightening. I can remember one scene where Steven is talking to a school-mate who mentions that Steven's "father" had tried to hit on him. Steven's reply was along the lines of "If he's doing that to you, then it means he's not doing it to me." Unfortunately, the school-mate didn't fully realise what that meant and didn't go to the police....

Very similar. I'm referring to the Shawn Hornbeck case: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/01/14/man-accused-kidnapping-two-boys-likely-kept-them-mentally-shackled-experts-say/ which took place in 2007 in the state of Missouri. The kidnapping lasted four years, and the abductor apparently captured a second boy because the first one was getting 'too old.' http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/15/missouri.boys/

Very similar. I'm referring to the Shawn Hornbeck case: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/01/14/man-accused-kidnapping-two-boys-likely-kept-them-mentally-shackled-experts-say/ which took place in 2007 in the state of Missouri. The kidnapping lasted four years, and the abductor apparently captured a second boy because the first one was getting 'too old.' http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/15/missouri.boys/

The worst reaction to that was that idiot Bill O'Reilly accusing the kid of not really being kidnapped and basically running away from home so he wouldn't have to do homework.

If you have a strong stomach, sample it here: