The Knight's Cowboy's Tale of 33 Names

PeterSJC

Apologies for the triple posting. AD server problem: I wish I'd written down the error message, but who knew it would do this?  I would appreciate it if someone with administrative access could delete the other two.

6 hours ago, PeterSJC said:

Apologies for the triple posting. AD server problem: I wish I'd written down the error message, but who knew it would do this?  I would appreciate it if someone with administrative access could delete the other two.

Peter,

No problema... I deleted the other two topics of the same name. There were no responses to either of them.

Mike installed an update to the IPS forum software; it (through no fault of AD) can be a bit wonky. IPS seems to rely on administrative users to finish beta testing of releases. That's probably the only way to do it — IPS can't know every possible way their software is being used. This is complex code!

Colin  :icon_geek:

Oddsbodikins, I'd completely forgotten about that! My file copy shows that it was almost exactly ten years ago, March 2007. The Codey's World Forums were a fun place. In fact, my naming my protagonist "Sir Yea of Verilyforsooth" stemmed from a good-natured contretemps Codey and I had there over whether "yeah" should be spelled "yeah" or "yea." He favored "yea," and I countered that there already was a word so spelled and was pronounced as in the phrase "yea, verily, forsooth." He wasn't convinced, and I hit on this name as a sort of gentle tweak. Thanks for bringing it back!

10 hours ago, Paul said:

Oddsbodikins, I'd completely forgotten about that! My file copy shows that it was almost exactly ten years ago, March 2007. The Codey's World Forums were a fun place. In fact, my naming my protagonist "Sir Yea of Verilyforsooth" stemmed from a good-natured contretemps Codey and I had there over whether "yeah" should be spelled "yeah" or "yea." He favored "yea," and I countered that there already was a word so spelled and was pronounced as in the phrase "yea, verily, forsooth." He wasn't convinced, and I hit on this name as a sort of gentle tweak. Thanks for bringing it back!

Wow! Well, I can't take credit for bringing it back. The "What's New at Codey's World" part of the AD home page currently shows it, under the Featured heading. I happily followed that link: it was a fun story to read.  Since you are obviously not Codey, I would guess that you were his editor, or one of them. I would love to hear any other anecdotes from those times. Anyway, thanks for writing the story and for providing this background.

13 hours ago, colinian said:

Peter,

No problema... I deleted the other two topics of the same name. There were no responses to either of them.

Mike installed an update to the IPS forum software; it (through no fault of AD) can be a bit wonky. IPS seems to rely on administrative users to finish beta testing of releases. That's probably the only way to do it — IPS can't know every possible way their software is being used. This is complex code!

Thanks, Colin. That kind of mistake really embarrasses me. And as a retired programmer, I understand about the complexities. I've always said that the biggest impediment to programming is a lack of imagination (about how something will be used). I also love trying to break other people's code. :)

11 minutes ago, PeterSJC said:

Thanks, Colin. That kind of mistake really embarrasses me. And as a retired programmer, I understand about the complexities. I've always said that the biggest impediment to programming is a lack of imagination (about how something will be used). I also love trying to break other people's code. :)

Breaking other people's code is/can be fun. I run a web application development department and we are always, purposely, intent on breaking our applications with the objective to fix them. If we don't find the bugs, then our customers will. That's usually not a comfortable situation!

I remember back when I took a coding class in high school the instructor said, "There's no program that has at least four lines of code that's entirely bug-free." That's especially true when you have at least 4,000 lines of code.

23 minutes ago, PeterSJC said:

Wow! Well, I can't take credit for bringing it back. The "What's New at Codey's World" part of the AD home page currently shows it, under the Featured heading. I happily followed that link: it was a fun story to read.  Since you are obviously not Codey, I would guess that you were his editor, or one of them. I would love to hear any other anecdotes from those times. Anyway, thanks for writing the story and for providing this background.

Oh, ha, sorry, my thanks were aimed rather sloppily. I had desired to thank you for enjoying my story and Colin for calling attention to it. No, I wasn't Codey's editor, just a user of the site and participant in the forum. When Corey, another user, posted that list of words it gave me the idea of seeing if I could work them all into a story.

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Oh, ha, sorry, my thanks were aimed rather sloppily. I had desired to thank you for enjoying my story and Colin for calling attention to it. No, I wasn't Codey's editor, just a user of the site and participant in the forum. When Corey, another user, posted that list of words it gave me the idea of seeing if I could work them all into a story.

And a worthwhile and amusing story it is! Thanks, Paul.

And thanks to Corey (wherever he is) for coming up with the list.