A "New" Story by Driver Posted

E.J.

I don't really understand the last part, "If you still don't like the story..."

What's not to like? It's adorable. I can almost feel the sun and the tension all over my body! :)

when this story was first posted, Driver was attacked pretty viciously. Probably by the same people who didn't like "Every Day Love", which I think is his best story. I heard that there were death threats directed both at him and his family.

All because "people" didn't like the way he presented some of the characters.

Death threats over the presentation of a character in a story? What the hell is up with that?

There are some psychos on the net who took exception to the fact that not only are some of his characters straight, one of his 'gay' characters exhibited some strong signs of lust towards a member of the opposite sex. They didn't like his ending, they threatened him, his family and worse.

As a result Driver's gone into virtual hiding. Although I am in regular contact with him, I have ceased begging him to come out of retirement because I totally understand his position. (I do occaisonally bug him to change his mind on EDL, which is the ultimate in masterpieces, but he doesn't appreciate my hints so I've sort of backed off even whinging about that....)

Driver is a VERY decent sort of guy who didn't deserve what he got. No good deed goes unpunished. Really sad.

That's pretty depressing WBM. Not that it will mean anything to him at all, but if you talk/contact him, kindly offer my apologies on behalf of the human race. I feel ashamed.

That's pretty depressing WBM. Not that it will mean anything to him at all, but if you talk/contact him, kindly offer my apologies on behalf of the human race. I feel ashamed.

As a whole, the human race sucks. There are pockets of less sucky people here and there but as a whole when I look at mankind, I am disgusted.

Not only am I a cynic, but a pessimist too. Oh wait, that makes me a realist, doesn't it? :)

As a whole, the human race sucks. There are pockets of less sucky people here and there but as a whole when I look at mankind, I am disgusted.

Not only am I a cynic, but a pessimist too. Oh wait, that makes me a realist, doesn't it? :)

That's why when you meet good people, you value them and treat them with respect; which is, BTW, one of the underlying themes in a lot of Driver's work.

That's why when you meet good people, you value them and treat them with respect; which is, BTW, one of the underlying themes in a lot of Driver's work.

I make an effort to surround myself with people like that. I don't have all that many friends but friends are measured in quality and not quantity. The group here at AD certainly seems better than your average bear*.....

Driver's an optimist about people despite his experiences and that amazes me :)

* Apologies to Yogi

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't find Driver's stuff until sometime last year. But I'm glad I did. What I've read, Falling Off a Log, Sudden Storm, and most of Plan A -- really good, and the stories have a heart to them too; plot, characterization, heart, real growth; all of the things a good story needs.

I've seen that he got criticism and threats. I haven't seen anything I thought warranted that.

I haven't read Summer Story yet, but I will.

Honestly, why should I have trouble with chars. who are straight friends or even if a gay character loves someone of the opposite sex; I believe the word for that is "bisexual," no?

I *like* stories that present a wider variety of characters and a balanced view. That's why I have the favorite authors I do.

I have now finished Plan A, B, & C. This guy can write, and do it well. I am torn each night. I am reading TSOI too, and each night I read one chapter of each of these wonderful authors. It is always a contest as to which gets read first.

Thank-you gentlemen, for your wonderful stories.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...